Tarragon 2 Oz.
Thyme (Tomillo) 4.3 Oz.

What am I missing that I ought to have?

I figure at least ...

Allspice
Cinamon
Pepper, White
Tumeric

You might also want to have some Mexican oregano around, if you make Mexican/Cali-Mex foods. It should be easy to get anywhere in California. The taste is similar to Italian oregano, but not the same. Definitely worth having both on hand, IMO.

CD

Nutmeg, cardamom, powdered and granulated garlic, sassafras (file powder) for gumbo dishes, Maca powder (cress of the Andes, the "Peruvian ginseng"; used as a cocoa substitute and general spice), Cubeb (mild Javanese pepper), Sichuan pepper, Mahlab (ground St Lucie cherry seed kernels; nutty and bitter with a slight vanilla taste; common in the Mediterranean and Aegean), Achiote powder (ground annatto seeds; Bixa orellana, a common spice in the Caribbean, in Mexico and in Central and South America), Grains of Paradise (melegueta pepper; alligator pepper; Guinea grains; Aframomum melegueta, resembles mild pepper and holds hues of e.g. cardamom, citrus, turmeric, juniper and ginger), Sumac (a citrus like flavor; used on its own and in e.g. Za'atar mix in Middle East) and Asafoetida (extracted from the rhizome or tap root of ferula plants; one of Windigo's recent orders).

Ideas from my own kitchen, this site and several additional online searches.

Asafoetida

One of my very favourite spices. Very underused by most people except in India (and Indian cuisine). People think because it smells rather unpleasant to them it will taste unpleasant. The taste is pungent but not in the least horrible. In fact, I love the smell of it but a lot of folk don't.

Nutmeg, cardamom, powdered and granulated garlic, sassafras (file powder) for gumbo dishes, Maca powder (cress of the Andes, the "Peruvian ginseng"; used as a cocoa substitute and general spice), Cubeb (mild Javanese pepper), Sichuan pepper, Mahlab (ground St Lucie cherry seed kernels; nutty and bitter with a slight vanilla taste; common in the Mediterranean and Aegean), Achiote powder (ground annatto seeds; Bixa orellana, a common spice in the Caribbean, in Mexico and in Central and South America), Grains of Paradise (melegueta pepper; alligator pepper; Guinea grains; Aframomum melegueta, resembles mild pepper and holds hues of e.g. cardamom, citrus, turmeric, juniper and ginger), Sumac (a citrus like flavor; used on its own and in e.g. Za'atar mix in Middle East) and Asafoetida (extracted from the rhizome or tap root of ferula plants; one of Windigo's recent orders).

Ideas from my own kitchen, this site and several additional online searches.

Ah, I use a lot of granulated garlic -- not to be confused with garlic salt.

CD

I got around this morning to making a photo record of my spices ...

full.jpg

Allspice, Anise, Basil, Basil, Caraway Seed, Cinnamon, Chili Powder, Cumin and Dill Weed

full.jpg

Nutmeg, Oregano, Paprika, Black Pepper, Red Pepper, Sage and Turmeric

full.jpg

Bay Leaves, Chervil, Cilantro, Habanero Pepper, Marjoram, Black Mustard Seed and Rosemary

full.jpg

Sage, Savory, Tarragon and Thyme

full.jpg

White Pepper, Black Peppercorns, White Sesame Seed and Saffron

full.jpg

Fenugreek Seed and Leaves, Fennel, Annato, Home Made Berebere Mix and Cardamon.

I forgot to include Cloves as I used it all up. I also won't provide pictures of Ginger and Galangal, which I have plenty of at this time.

One of my very favourite spices. Very underused by most people except in India (and Indian cuisine). People think because it smells rather unpleasant to them it will taste unpleasant. The taste is pungent but not in the least horrible. In fact, I love the smell of it but a lot of folk don't.

Good for indigestion!!

There's an older thread about spices here. I'll be adding Kashmiri chili powder soon, ordered some whole dried ones today as I had substituted some others for in a first time making recipe we really liked and now there is another recipe going on our next menu list that uses them.

Ran out of paprika and turmeric in the weekend. Thought there was more in the hallway, but no.
I'll get during the week.

Russ

Up to this past year, the only time that I have ever experienced cloves was in hams that my mom cooked. I now realize that they can be used in a wider variety of ways. They are expensive for the amount you get.

I was running low on whole cloves and so, went looking for them while shopping. Taking note that when I have used cloves, I have typically been crushing them up. So, this time, I bought my cloves ground.

full.jpg

Up to this past year, the only time that I have ever experienced cloves was in hams that my mom cooked. I now realize that they can be used in a wider variety of ways. They are expensive for the amount you get.

I was running low on whole cloves and so, went looking for them while shopping. Taking note that when I have used cloves, I have typically been crushing them up. So, this time, I bought my cloves ground.

View attachment 66638

I use a lot of cloves in my preserving.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom