More cook books....

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
5:44 PM
My wife works with a guy and his family who live on sight. Now get this, he doesn't cook, she hates the smell of food in her house, and won't cook. The job has a kitchen with meals made every day, so they eat at the kitchen, not their free rental house. My wife's boss just got another job and has moved out. My wife had to supervise the clean up of the house when they left. She bought home about 30 cook books, free, to me. These are brand new, never been opened. Some are 30 years old. I'm slowly working my way through them, keeping the ones I want. Rest are going to charity. What do you do with your old books. I know my daughter will get mine.

Russ

I donate them to charity. I had maybe 30-35 at one time, pared it down to about 10, and now I've crept up to 14.

As odd as it sounds, I get a little anxious if I have something in the house that goes a long time without being used. I start thinking of it as clutter or unnecessary, and then I get rid of it if possible.

I donate them to charity. I had maybe 30-35 at one time, pared it down to about 10, and now I've crept up to 14.

As odd as it sounds, I get a little anxious if I have something in the house that goes a long time without being used. I start thinking of it as clutter or unnecessary, and then I get rid of it if possible.

I've got about 2 book cases full. They are in my office downstairs, and aren't taking up valuable space. There's plenty of room there.

Russ

She bought home about 30 cook books, free, to me. These are brand new, never been opened. Some are 30 years old. I'm slowly working my way through them, keeping the ones I want.

What fun. Please let us know any good finds.

Yes charity ships take them here.

My wife works with a guy and his family who live on sight. Now get this, he doesn't cook, she hates the smell of food in her house, and won't cook. The job has a kitchen with meals made every day, so they eat at the kitchen, not their free rental house. My wife's boss just got another job and has moved out. My wife had to supervise the clean up of the house when they left. She bought home about 30 cook books, free, to me. These are brand new, never been opened. Some are 30 years old. I'm slowly working my way through them, keeping the ones I want. Rest are going to charity. What do you do with your old books. I know my daughter will get mine.

Russ
Fun! That would totally make me happy!

My girls will get my cookbooks. And if they don't want them, well charity it is.

I do give most of my unwanted books to the local library sale which happens once a year, or to charity.

I'm able to have a farmer's market near to my old home that had a table for cookbook swapping.

I did notice that eventually EVERYTHING I donated to that... disappeared. Which meant someone wanted them and they weren't trundled out week after week.

Russ
Have you found any good ones? If they are over 30 yrs. old, they may be worth some money. Check Amazon.

I've donated some, because I don't have the room. Then I remember a certain recipe I want to look at again, and regret it.

You could have what they call here a Garage Sale. You put all your junk on your lawn, and friends, neighbors, and complete strangers go through your personal belongings for a few cents' profit. *Shudder*

Last edited:
I've donated some, because I don't have the room. Then I remember a certain recipe I want to look at again, and regret it.

You could have what they call here a Garage Sale. You put all your junk on your lawn, and friends, neighbors, and complete strangers go through your personal belongings for a few cents' profit. *Shudder*
Shudder is right. I can't believe some people think 10 cents is a fair price for a cookbook.

Have you found any good ones? If they are over 30 yrs. old, they may be worth some money. Check Amazon.

I honestly don't have the time or inclination to,check. Found a nice one on pickles and chutneys. I'm keeping that, daughter took the rest.

Russ

Oh, how could you do that? lol I would be so curious I would have all 30 books open in 10 minutes. 🐱

Oh, how could you do that? lol I would be so curious I would have all 30 books open in 10 minutes. 🐱

Some of the recipes were so old that spices I use everyday weren't in them. Quick flick at ingredients told me no, no use to me. Although I'm really happy about the one I kept. It's old alright , the author died in 1987. But it has great recipes!!

Russ

Some of the recipes were so old that spices I use everyday weren't in them. Quick flick at ingredients told me no, no use to me. Although I'm really happy about the one I kept. It's old alright , the author died in 1987. But it has great recipes!!

Russ
Would you mind showing us or tell us about that book?

Back
Top Bottom