MSG - yay or nay?

DIna00

Veteran
Local time
10:00 AM
What are you thoughts on MSG? I used to think it was some especially bad chemical that was added to food to make it taste addictive and make meat extra soft and tender. I thought it was especially bad for you, just like hydrogenated fats.

Lately though I have read that it is not bad for you at all, it is some naturally occurring chemical that is naturally present and there is no proof or evidence that it is harmful to humans in any way.

Basically that all the hype about MSG was wrong, and it's fine to use.

What are you thoughts on MSG?

I don't know what the problem is with MSG, but for years I have been hearing that it is not good for you and that you should avoid buying foods which contain this chemical. However, there are quite a number of foods on the market which contain MSG, so trying to avoid it would not be a very easy task. Furthermore, each time you shop, you would have to be reading the labels on every product to see if MSG is mentioned on the label. When I first heard about it, I started reading the labels on some products that I bought, but after a while I gave that up and now I don't even remember to check for it.

Since it is not always practical to avoid buying certain products, then I guess we should use them in moderation.

Food that has MSG in it makes my body hold water which makes me very uncomfortable. I do not eat anything that has MSG in it. When I realized what my problem was I all but stopped eating chinese food.

I have to tell you that the topic confuses me. As with most things the stories keep changing and it's all quite confusing. I felt like it was this terrible thing that was killing us in not so many words. Now you are saying the research reveals something else. How many times have we seen this happen? Too many times to count. I think at the end of the day we need to decide what's good for us and what's not.I am afraid to read sometimes.

Is this monosodium glutamate? Will if yes it is a big No No in our kitchen instead we only used spices, herbs and salt to taste. MSG poses threat to the kidneys and at the same time it behaves abnormally when absord in the body. A lot of disease is attributed to daily consumption of MSG.

I avoid MSG. It's just a personal choice. But because there is such a debate raging over the chemical, people can't decide if it's good or bad, I'm rather playing it safe and stay away from it. Frankly, my gut tells me its not worth it, that it is really not a good thing to have in your food.

I say nay. This stuff is like poison. MSG causes hypertension. This is a chemical food enhancer. This gives food an artificial taste. I would much rather season my food with herbs. I enjoy knowing what food really taste like instead of receiving something that is not authentic.

Once again the men [and women] in white coats show their total inability to offer any real advice. Also they change their minds more often than their socks. I suspect that more tension and worry is caused by trying to follow the 'do's and don'ts' than is ever caused by the items themselves.

MSG is a 'nay' from me, as it bloats me. Luckily the Chinese restaurant at the end of my road has recently gone MSG-free and I can enjoy a delicious meal without having to worry about suffering later.

Back
Top Bottom