Multi-Course Meals

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
6:59 AM
I've thinking again. Some people have said that might hurt me, but what do I know?

Multi-Course Meals stir up a lot in my mind, dining among Kings & Queens, Dynasties, top level government officials and executives, really expensive restaurants, community get togethers, pot lucks and simple entrees preceded by appetizers and followed by deserts.

I figure that some multi-course meals are thematic and others, no. Some incorporate special sequencing which includes Palate Cleansing. I posted a thread on Palate Cleansing way back in December 2017, shortly after joining Cooking Bites.

Palette Cleansing

Simple entrees which are preceded by appetizers and followed by deserts, certainly, qualify as multi-course. There is nothing appreciably thematic about these meals and they don't necessarily include palate cleansing.

Pot Lucks are always fun and may include a wide variety of prepared meals. The collective nature of such multi-course meals is happenstance. There certainly can't be a theme to them and no palate cleansing.

Meals at community get togethers are usually event based, weddings, holidays, etc. They are usually thematic, based on the event, but otherwise, are somewhat like Pot Lucks. Thanksgiving Dinners in the USA are such and may include more than just Turkey, Dressing, Potatoes and Cranberries. Thanksgiving Dinners follow a historical cornucopia theme and may also include Hams, Duck, Venison, Beef, Yams, Salads, etc., etc., etc.

Really expensive restaurants, particularly French, may promote large multi-course meals which last for hours. These meals are sophisticated, thematic and carefully include palate cleansing items between entrees. These meals may emulate historical dining practices of Emperors, Dynasties and Kings and Queens. They may cater to top government officials and corporate executives.

I guess it depends on your upbringing, some on here have been privileged with dining out as kids so they have more experience than I have. I grew up with the basics and I continue to cook them. We just have a main meal at night. But birthdays are another matter, my grandkids and my kids get to choose a three course meal for their dinner. I don't know many young kids who order pate or croquettes for entrees? Or fillet Mignon with mushroom sauce? I'm talking 7 to11yos.

Russ

I guess it depends on your upbringing, some on here have been privileged with dining out as kids so they have more experience than I have. I grew up with the basics and I continue to cook them. We just have a main meal at night. But birthdays are another matter, my grandkids and my kids get to choose a three course meal for their dinner. I don't know many young kids who order pate or croquettes for entrees? Or fillet Mignon with mushroom sauce? I'm talking 7 to11yos.

Russ
Russers mate. The first memory of ordering from a menu was when I was 8 yrs. It was my luscious cousin Isabel's 13th birthday. My uncle Maury took about 20 family members to Kettners. Then a famous french restaurant in Soho London.
I had Pate Maison for starters. Dover sole meuniere for my main course. Tart au Citron for my pud. The waiter put the platter with my sole on it next to me. A rather intimidating Matre d walked up and started to fillet it. I stopped him and told him I always filleted my own sole like my Dad taught me.
Privileged maybe, a better human being than you.. not bloody likely. This may interest you mate Kettner’s – the Soho establishment that changed history

Last edited:
I've thinking again. Some people have said that might hurt me, but what do I know?

Multi-Course Meals stir up a lot in my mind, dining among Kings & Queens, Dynasties, top level government officials and executives, really expensive restaurants, community get togethers, pot lucks and simple entrees preceded by appetizers and followed by deserts.

I figure that some multi-course meals are thematic and others, no. Some incorporate special sequencing which includes Palate Cleansing. I posted a thread on Palate Cleansing way back in December 2017, shortly after joining Cooking Bites.

Palette Cleansing

Simple entrees which are preceded by appetizers and followed by deserts, certainly, qualify as multi-course. There is nothing appreciably thematic about these meals and they don't necessarily include palate cleansing.

Pot Lucks are always fun and may include a wide variety of prepared meals. The collective nature of such multi-course meals is happenstance. There certainly can't be a theme to them and no palate cleansing.

Meals at community get togethers are usually event based, weddings, holidays, etc. They are usually thematic, based on the event, but otherwise, are somewhat like Pot Lucks. Thanksgiving Dinners in the USA are such and may include more than just Turkey, Dressing, Potatoes and Cranberries. Thanksgiving Dinners follow a historical cornucopia theme and may also include Hams, Duck, Venison, Beef, Yams, Salads, etc., etc., etc.

Really expensive restaurants, particularly French, may promote large multi-course meals which last for hours. These meals are sophisticated, thematic and carefully include palate cleansing items between entrees. These meals may emulate historical dining practices of Emperors, Dynasties and Kings and Queens. They may cater to top government officials and corporate executives.
To quote me mate in response to Morning Glory " Morning Morning we have two different varieties here. The smooth skinned sweet and sour and the rough as a bear bottom super sweet variety. Both are local plentiful and cheap as chips. Five nights a week I eat fruit after dinner. I eat the sweet sour poms mainly after fatty foods as a palette cleanser. Then I eat any fruit we have. I post the pics because they are pretty."
I dislike brushing my teeth immediately after dinner as much as I dislike a fatty coating on my tongue hence.
1605774763871.png
1605774780660.png

My favourite way to dine out is definitely multi course in fine dining restaurants and I'm lucky enough to have eaten in several Michelin starred ones. I go for the lunch menu which is often very reasonably priced. These restaurants also generally have a 'tasting menu' which may be up to 15 courses! The individual courses are small portioned - but that makes sense because if you are eating several. I also much prefer to eat that way and take time over it.

I may have some photos somewhere...

The individual courses are small portioned - but that makes sense because if you are eating several. I also much prefer to eat that way and take time over it.
My favorite Sunday lunch in a UK restaurant that was a tradition that was started by my friend Roy Flatt. He was not my sensei at the time but a few of my mates trained with him. Around twenty disparate looking characters would descend on a Dim Sum restaurant in Liverpool's China town. Even the car protection gangs used to steer clear. We would spend 3/4 hours eating numerous dishes. Roy's only rule was no alcohol.

My favorite Sunday lunch in a UK restaurant that was a tradition that was started by my friend Roy Flatt. He was not my sensei at the time but a few of my mates trained with him. Around twenty disparate looking characters would descend on a Dim Sum restaurant in Liverpool's China town. Even the car protection gangs used to steer clear. We would spend 3/4 hours eating numerous dishes. Roy's only rule was no alcohol.

Your post has reminded me of one other alternative to multi-course dining, the Buffet, sometimes, all you can eat for a price.

Buffets are not all they are cracked up to be some times, especially in these times of COVID19. They are often thought of as unsanitary, due not just to the food handlers, but also to the fact that they are self serve - and some restaurant patrons may cause a health risk by their handling of the food items, sneezing, coughing, etc., etc.

If you like Buffet style dining, there are some Buffet Restaurants which only allow their own employees to serve up the food - and they may not be all you can eat, but price each item individually.

The big Buffet Style restaurants in my neck of the woods are typically Chinese and they may be self-serve, or individual item combinations, employee served and individually priced. There have been some good German Buffets in the area, but they don't seem to have lasted.

Your post has reminded me of one other alternative to multi-course dining, the Buffet, sometimes, all you can eat for a price.

Buffets are not all they are cracked up to be some times, especially in these times of COVID19. They are often thought of as unsanitary, due not just to the food handlers, but also to the fact that they are self serve - and some restaurant patrons may cause a health risk by their handling of the food items, sneezing, coughing, etc., etc.

If you like Buffet style dining, there are some Buffet Restaurants which only allow their own employees to serve up the food - and they may not be all you can eat, but price each item individually.

The big Buffet Style restaurants in my neck of the woods are typically Chinese and they may be self-serve, or individual item combinations, employee served and individually priced. There have been some good German Buffets in the area, but they don't seem to have lasted.
This is our favorite hotel in Morocco, it is one of the few places I have eaten buffet on dry land.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlBY4d3WDSQ&ab_channel=ChefAhmedABARGH

Russers mate. The first memory of ordering from a menu was when I was 8 yrs. It was my luscious cousin Isabel's 13th birthday. My uncle Maury took about 20 family members to Kettners. Then a famous french restaurant in Soho London.
I had Pate Maison for starters. Dover sole meuniere for my main course. Tart au Citron for my pud. The waiter put the platter with my sole on it next to me. A rather intimidating Matre d walked up and started to fillet it. I stopped him and told him I always filleted my own sole like my Dad taught me.
Privileged maybe, a better human being than you.. not bloody likely. This may interest you mate Kettner’s – the Soho establishment that changed history

See, I never went to a restaurant, none near me when growing up, and we didn't have a car! My kids and their kids grew up with restaurants and menus. I earnt big money so I liked to spoil myself and my family. My grandkids have a great range of likes, mr 8 absolutely loves pate, yet I never tried it until my 30s.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom