Recipe Mumbai style sandwich

Herbie

Veteran
Local time
7:46 PM
I've been interested in the number of Indian dishes using bread (as in the sliced kind we use in England rather than the specific Indian breads). The Mumbai Sandwich is one of many I have been meaning to try so no excuse with the bread challenge.

So, I was about to go on holiday and did not have the right ingredients, but decided to give my own version a go.

DSC_0245.JPG

Green chutney
2 handfuls of herbs from the garden (lemon balm, mint, chives, marjoram)
1 green chilli from garden
1 clove garlic
small ;piece of ginger
pinch of salt
Juice of about 1/4 lemon

2 slices gluten free bread
vegan 'butter' (Pure)

Filling
4 slices cucumber
4 slices (full rounds) of onion
4 slices tomato
some vegan cheese (violife grated original)

Spice:
I was going to use homemade garam masala but I had run out of even that so I just sprinkled with 1/2 tsp each of cumin, coriander and chilli.

'butter' bread on both sides
Blitz green chutney ingredients in blitzer

On one slice of bread spread the green chutney, add a layer of tomatoes, then cucumber then tomato, sprinkling the spice mixture and salt between each layer.
Top with grated cheese and the other slice of bread.
Fry in a pan until golden and the cheese is melted.

I served it with some of my apple pickle and some coconut chutney (coconut mixed with the green chutney).

It was delicious. Not very pretty as the gluten free bread fell apart a bit as it usually does.

The chutney was even better the next day. I will make again in a more authentic way as it certainly needed more spice.

I did not think to search to see if anyone else had tried it, but Elawin has and made an authentic Mumbai sandwich.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom