Mung Bean

Ellyn

Veteran
Local time
9:33 PM
Where I come from, mung beans are for making the poor man's porridge. They're hearty, savory, but not exactly filling or complex. I consider it halfway between a stew and a somewhat bland sauce.

Lately, though, I've been learning so much about the humble mung bean. I usually only knew them as green, but the "red bean paste" that I considered so special and glamorous is really just a red variety of the same green mung bean. There's even black mung beans that packs quite a bit more punch flavor-wise (I don't know if that's because of how they're cooked, though, or if black beans really are stronger in flavor.)

They originated in India, but have found their way into food all over Asia, both sweet and savory.

They're also my grade school's favorite science experiment because the green ones at least are cheap to get and they start to germinate and sprout within a day it seems.

So, it puzzles me that red bean paste has to be soaked for so long and then boiled for more than an hour.

Still, learning something new every day!

Mung bean sprouts can also be used in salads and stir-fries. They are not just for science experiments, they are highly nutritious. It is easy to sprout them at home so you can always have a ready supply.

Back
Top Bottom