• 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon tomato puree
  • 225 g button mushrooms, halved if large
mushroom bhaji.jpg

Method

Heat the oil in a wok and fry the onions until golden brown.Lower the heat and add the garlic, turmeric, chili powder, coriander and cumin. Stir fry the spices for about 5 minutes adding a little water if necessary to prevent them sticking to the wok.

Add the salt and tomato puree, mix well and add the mushrooms. Stir until the ingredients are thoroughly mixed. Sprinkle about 2 tblsp water and cover the pan. Simmer for 10 minutes.

Can't you get fresh?

Fresh Champignons are very rare (and therefore expensive). Shiitake and straw mushrooms are available sometimes but I usually keep a tin or two of button mushrooms in case they are not. It's a bit hit and miss.

Fresh Champignons are very rare (and therefore expensive). Shiitake and straw mushrooms are available sometimes but I usually keep a tin or two of button mushrooms in case they are not. It's a bit hit and miss.

Wow, I must check my store for tinned shrooms. Yours look so yummy. Are they in a brine?

Russ

I found an image from a couple of years ago of fresh champignons. I think these were around £2.00 which is not too bad if they are available when I need them (which they rarely are).

Back
Top Bottom