Mushroom Rissotto

ScandiBrit

Local time
4:39 PM
Hi all

Made a good rissotto last night! Rissotto is something I have made for years and the skill is not over-feeding with stock, but apart from that I used dried mushrooms and also the water the mushrooms soaked in.

Somewhere in my history I read to never use this water but last night I added it to the vegetable stock and it was wonderful in that it gave a deeper mushroom flavour in the rice.

So it seems maybe I have thrown away a lot of good mushroom stock over the years . . anyone else heard not to use this stock before?

Richard

apart from that I used dried mushrooms and also the water the mushrooms soaked in.

Absolutely! I've always used it. Not only in risotto but in other dishes using dried mushrooms. Sometimes its worth passing it through a fine strainer (a mesh tea strainer will do) to remove any tiny gritty bits.

I'm personally not a huge fan of risotto (I don't really like the creamy consistency) but I do know how to make it. For me one of the keys to a good risotto is wine (usually white). Did you add wine to yours?

I grew up eating rice - rice and gravy, gumbo and rice, etoufe and rice, beans and rice - you get it. I never had risotto .
At least 10 years ago I was visiting #1 Brother and SIL. SIL made risotto. OMG! Love at first bite .
Mushroom risotto is my FAVORITE .
I use a lot of dried mushrooms for depth of flavor and fresh mushrooms for added flavor and bulk .
I reconstitute the mushrooms in wine. Red or white depending on the application . I ALWAYS use the liquid Strained through a fine mesh sieve lined with a coffee filter to remove grit. I can not imagine not using that intensity flavored liquid.

Back
Top Bottom