Mutton Ideas

lizzief79

Veteran
Local time
7:15 AM
Mutton is a meat I have never cooked with before, but watching a TV programme where one of the chefs used mutton the other day has inspired me to make something using mutton. Does it cook in the same way as lamb or does it need a longer/ shorter period of cooking? Is there a better method of cooking? (roasting, braising, slow cooking, grilling). Has anyone any recipe ideas to inspire me?

Mutton needs longer to cook as it is older than lamb. Braising or in a slow cooker, or in a casserole would be what I'd do with it. A slow cooker with plenty of gravy would be my first choice. Mutton has more taste as well because it has had time to mature. You don't find much mutton these days. People all seem to go for lamb, which in my opinion has precious little taste.

Mutton needs longer to cook as it is older than lamb. Braising or in a slow cooker, or in a casserole would be what I'd do with it. A slow cooker with plenty of gravy would be my first choice. Mutton has more taste as well because it has had time to mature. You don't find much mutton these days. People all seem to go for lamb, which in my opinion has precious little taste.
Lambs are getting older as well. What would have been sold as mutton a few years ago, is now sold as lamb.

Can give you the name & number of a butcher that does mutton.

Where to buy it form was one thing that had crossed my mind as Iknow that the supermarkets I use do not have it and my local butcher's doesn't either. There are some good butcher's in a nearby town that I thought I would try. I had suspected it may need longer to cook and a stew in the slow cooker sounds fantastic.

Where to buy it form was one thing that had crossed my mind as Iknow that the supermarkets I use do not have it and my local butcher's doesn't either. There are some good butcher's in a nearby town that I thought I would try. I had suspected it may need longer to cook and a stew in the slow cooker sounds fantastic.
Yes, definitely slow cook. I can only get mutton by travelling out into the country to a farm which breeds mutton (and hogget) mainly for restaurants but has a small shop attached. If you do a google search in your area you might find similar.

Avoid "Organic Markets" if its meat you're after.

Mutton or hogget cook long and slow to render the fat and tenderize , I love mutton and potato curry it's a dream on a winters day , my god father was a Shepard and we had truley amazing mutton when I was young

Why would that be? Not that I'm a particular fan (or not) of organic...
More often than not, its exactly the same meat. Only the price is higher, as its now considered an odd cut to buy.
That, and the fact that there's no actual way of proving the claim, that its organic

More often than not, its exactly the same meat. Only the price is higher, as its now considered an odd cut to buy.
That, and the fact that there's no actual way of proving the claim, that its organic
I see your point. I think there is some legal definition of organic (if I believe The Archers!) but how do we really know...? Are all organic producers tested on a regular basis?

I see your point. I think there is some legal definition of organic (if I believe The Archers!) but how do we really know...? Are all organic producers tested on a regular basis?
To attain/retain Organic status, yes.
But very little organic meat is
on sale in the UK.
From large chains to individuals, they've been caught out. Including the testing group, they test what you're growing, in Ireland.

The soil association have changed things other the years ,maybe our regard for animals welfare,

The link is their guide lines to organic sheep
http://www.soilassociation.org/whatisorganic/organicanimals/sheep

Due to the lamb flocks,in my area I can ,choose my farm, and my animal if needs must ,and so decide on my meat
I bought some truly organic pork from the foothills of old Sarum hill fort ,see Good selling ploy,and it was truly awful,

Mutton is rare here and so is lamb. But I'm sure we can cook it in the same way we cook carabao's meat, that's the water buffalo with meat that is popularly tough. Maybe the mutton would be good when boiled in them mixture of 7-up (or Sprite) and pineapple juice. Add some bay leaf and pepper corn for flavoring. When tender, fry the mutton in margarine and when cooked, add the sauce from the pot. Best served with steaming rice.

Mutton is a meat I have never cooked with before, but watching a TV programme where one of the chefs used mutton the other day has inspired me to make something using mutton. Does it cook in the same way as lamb or does it need a longer/ shorter period of cooking? Is there a better method of cooking? (roasting, braising, slow cooking, grilling). Has anyone any recipe ideas to inspire me?
If you're still looking http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/bllamb2.htm

Back
Top Bottom