My beloved garden in North Wales.

Burt Blank

Legendary Member
Local time
9:08 PM
The first pic is in the first Winter there the area to the right was lawn. I bought a very old non working Merry Tiller and rebuilt it into a sod massacring beast over that winter. I started in April and with my wife's massive help created the first of our veg plots.
007-2.jpg

padeswood289 (2).jpg

005-1.jpg

I only grow cliff kidney, a small kidney shaped potatoes,
They sound like international Kidney. When they are grown on Jersey in the channel Isles the become one of the finest "new" pots I have eaten.
This is where I get a bit anal. They are grown in south facing sloping cliff side field. Their feeding involves seaweed mulch.
So we went to Llandudno in the winter and collected some seaweed. We built a winter compost heap with it. I had two south facing "cold frames" one was my wifes, she grew strawbs in it. In march I built up the back of the soil to make a slope, planted and composted. The first horms we dug were shape like the Royal but the flavor was lacking so I let them grow on as a main crop. Hence the pic with the shoe. This is the cold frame below. I had more success creating the perfect baking potato from the seed Cara. A really true story of obsession and my wifes love of backing pots
gardenBBQ541.jpg

They sound like international Kidney. When they are grown on Jersey in the channel Isles the become one of the finest "new" pots I have eaten.
This is where I get a bit anal. They are grown in south facing sloping cliff side field. Their feeding involves seaweed mulch.
So we went to Llandudno in the winter and collected some seaweed. We built a winter compost heap with it. I had two south facing "cold frames" one was my wifes, she grew strawbs in it. In march I built up the back of the soil to make a slope, planted and composted. The first horms we dug were shape like the Royal but the flavor was lacking so I let them grow on as a main crop. Hence the pic with the shoe. This is the cold frame below. I had more success creating the perfect baking potato from the seed Cara. A really true story of obsession and my wifes love of backing potsView attachment 44014

We get sheep pellets here, (poo) the wife mixes it with mulch when planting. My fave a plate of new pots with copious amounts of butter!! They are so sweet.

Russ

So we went to Llandudno in the winter and collected some seaweed. We built a winter compost heap with it. I had two south facing "cold frames" one was my wifes, she grew strawbs in it. In march I built up the back of the soil to make a slope, planted and composted. The first horms we dug were shape like the Royal but the flavor was lacking so I let them grow on as a main crop. Hence the pic with the shoe. This is the cold frame below. I had more success creating the perfect baking potato from the seed Cara. A really true story of obsession and my wifes love of backing potsView attachment 44014

So you have no access to a plot of land to grow stuff in Croatia? You must both really miss it.

So you have no access to a plot of land to grow stuff in Croatia? You must both really miss it.
This is my FIL house in the mountains, 2 years ago we had about 1/2 acre of old knackered vines grubbed out. The pic is off the two of us planning last year for this year. Unfortunately he started feeling unwell in the early spring this year. He did not tell anyone about his personal problems. We went to see him and my FIL a few week ago when the Covid internal travel restriction were lifted. My wife and I went mad. We put him in the car and took him to his doctor, he went mad and got an ambulance to take him to the local hospital for tests. He was transferred to Split this morning for emergency surgery on his colon which is cancerous. He is 85 yrs, realistically I have little hope for him returning to Drnis.
90242287_791659234656927_5602204471586193408_n.jpg

Sorry to hear this.
Thank you mate, he is a tough old sod, he was an officer on Yugoslavian submarines.I love him like my Dad. At my age I have seen a lot of people die. The problem is because of the reinstatement of some of the Covid rules, I cannot take my wife to see him. It cuts me bad that he is on his own. I am not very pleasant company at present. I blame a lot of my wife's family for this. I will leave that alone till he is out of hospital one way or another.

I'm sorry you're all going through that. I was the same way with my FIL - he had such a gusto for life, it was hard not to feel good when he was around. Loved good food, good drink, and his family, and he relished being "the patriarch." He passed in 2010, at 77yo, still think of him every day.

Back
Top Bottom