My can opener hates me

Pat

Veteran
Local time
7:46 PM
Can openers are needed in the kitchen but I find them to be very difficult to deal with, The opener does not open the can it goes around to a point and them stops I always have to pry the can open and pull the food out of the can. We have purchased several can openers and have always had similar problems.

Any one have a good can opener?

I have always had problems with certain types of can openers and have always detested having to open cans for that reason. However, I find the can opener that I use now to be much easier and less of a hassle to use. This is a punch opener. It is true that this type of opener can also pose a challenge when it comes to opening certain cans, since some cans are softer than others, but I still prefer the punch opener. The one shown in the photo below is the type I use.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGYKtBrJFiU6uZBCRHBdOv6ndZBkiGuIU0xSVPFvbEmk7vby1g0Q.jpg

You need to buy yourself one of the Swiss made Kuhn Rikon can openers.

I wasn't sure at first until Arch showed me her one and I was hooked. I bought one for my folks and would have bought one for myself but instead married Arch and she moved in with hers. (That wasn't the only reason I married her though.)

I wasn't sure at first until Arch showed me her one and I was hooked. I bought one for my folks and would have bought one for myself but instead married Arch and she moved in with hers. (That wasn't the only reason I married her though.)

No, I also brought a lot of jam and a preserving pan to the marriage.. :wink:

You need to buy yourself one of the Swiss made Kuhn Rikon can openers.

Oxo safety can opener.jpg
Oxo safety can opener.jpg 2.jpg

Mine is the Oxo Safety Can Opener, and yes, it, also, has those two little thingies on the side of it that help me locate the edge of the can(s).
Never even knew that before!! :eek:

Last edited:
I have to say although the punch opener is my all time favorite I don't like using it much these days. It proper hurts my hands every time I try to open a can especially with the harder cans! So I have now abandoned it and caved in to using the more modern type of openers. Oxo Safety can opener is one of the great ones that you can purchase, pretty easy to use and you never have to worry about aching hands!

It hates me too. I've went through four electrical openers, all meeting their fate from falling apart from usage to wiring shorts, to the cats thought it'd be a 'good idea' to take it and throw on the ground. Just bought a new one recently for a couple bucks. Works like a charm.

Though my old one was like grinding pure metal on metal with no grabbing involved, it just ate into the metal and rotated in one spot.

The majority of tins that I buy have those ring pulls, especially things like Heinz beans and soups, so I hardly ever use a can opener. I do have one though, it's one of those "Magican" types which were considered to be innovative around 20 years ago. I've never had any issues with it but I do agree that the latest safety models look really impressive.

The majority of tins that I buy have those ring pulls, especially things like Heinz beans and soups, so I hardly ever use a can opener.

It would be really great if all the cans I bought had those ring pulls. That would make it all so much easier. Although the punch opener tends to hurt my hand too, especially with the harder tins, I have grown accustomed to using it, but I could still check out one or two of the others, like, for instance, the Oxo Safety can opener and the Kuhn Rikon can opener, since opening cans is one of my pet peeves.

Back
Top Bottom