My first Garam Masala - need advice

MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
4:56 AM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk

I stopped at a shop (Tiger - not a food related one) and as soon as I saw this Garam Masala packet, I bought it suddenly thinking about the food I could make by using it or at least my mind went to Yorky food where he uses this spice. Ok. But after few mins I thought: “ I have no idea where, how, when, how to use it in a proper way. I’ll ask to CB”. And that’s what I’m doing now…

How to use it for a Garam Masala amateur like me, please?

Last edited:
View attachment 69340

I stopped at a shop (not a food related one) and as soon as I saw this Garam Masala packet, I bought it suddenly thinking about the food I could make by using it or at least my mind went to Yorky food where he uses this spice. Ok. But after few mins I thought: “ I have no idea where, how, when, how to use it. I’ll ask to CB”. And that’s what I’m doing now…

How to use it for a Garam Masala amateur like me, please?
Just add to curries that call fir Garam masala or I add a teaspoon to my samosas mixes, vege and beef.
I also put s teaspoon in my mint rhaita I make. Lots of uses. Good luck experimenting.

Russ

Personally, I usually make my own (not available locally).

I virtually always add it sparingly at the end of the cooking process, maybe ½ teaspoon or at most 1 teaspoon (say for a dish for 4 people).

Thank you. Is it OK both for meat and fish? Does it work with rice?

I rarely eat fish curries so I'll leave that to others.

Meat curries [or vegetable curries] yes. Rice, I've never tried but I would suggest not.

[Edited]

Last edited:
It's supposed to be the cooling agent to balance the hot curry, it's yoghurt half small onion finely diced. 1/2 teaspoon G.m . Grated cucumber and chopped mint. We use it a lot on samosas tandoori cutlets etc.

Russ

I make a raita from potatoes and onions (and yoghurt). Serve it chilled as you say as a cooling agent.

raita-2.jpg

Traditionally, you wouldn't usually use it on its own to spice a dish. As previously stated in this thread its used mainly in curries in combination with other spices. Traditionally its added towards the end of cooking a curry. Best thing is to look up some curry recipes on CB. It will work with fish, meat or vegetable curries and it lovely in a lentil dhal.

However, as its basically a mix of spices it can be used in many ways - you could stir some into mayonnaise, sprinkle on eggs, sprinkle on potatoes or other vegetables when roasting them. I don't think it would work particularly well in rice though. Whole spices work best in rice dishes. Although, having said that, turmeric powder is lovely added to rice when its boiling for a great yellow colour.

garam masala is " a mixture of hot spices". By hot, that doesn´t necessarily mean chiles in it; cardamom, black pepper, cloves, nutmeg, etc. are considered "hot". A simple garam masala can be prepared by using equal portions of black pepper, cardamomn cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. "Cheaper" versions are often made using cumin and coriander seed.
Me? I make my own, and add it to my dishes towards the end of the cooking time - just a bit, to add an extra depth of flavour to the dish. I even teach my students how to make it in my Curry Classes!
What to use it with? Hey, anything you like, I suppose. The best way to start, however, would be to use it in an Indian dish, to give you a sense of how it works. Once you´ve captured the flavour "notes", then you can branch out.

Back
Top Bottom