My first Garam Masala - need advice

garam masala is " a mixture of hot spices". By hot, that doesn´t necessarily mean chiles in it; cardamom, black pepper, cloves, nutmeg, etc. are considered "hot". A simple garam masala can be prepared by using equal portions of black pepper, cardamomn cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. "Cheaper" versions are often made using cumin and coriander seed.
Me? I make my own, and add it to my dishes towards the end of the cooking time - just a bit, to add an extra depth of flavour to the dish. I even teach my students how to make it in my Curry Classes!
What to use it with? Hey, anything you like, I suppose. The best way to start, however, would be to use it in an Indian dish, to give you a sense of how it works. Once you´ve captured the flavour "notes", then you can branch out.

Very interesting and useful, thanks. I love Indian food thus I already tasted Garam Masala, but never cooked with it. So it’s just something I like to learn to use it at its best. I suppose is like using aromatic herbs in Italian cuisine, not all of them match well in dishes and it is nice to use them in the right way to enhance flavours rather than overwhelming it.

I had a little shy start just yesterday by using Garam Masala with potatoes, delicious. I am on holiday at the moment thus I don’t have the right time to focus on it and cooking as I’d make at home, but I’ll recover as soon as I come back and give more attention to GM.

Back
Top Bottom