My own teriyaki chicken on a stick

primalclaws1974

Veteran
Local time
7:04 PM
My son loves teriyaki chicken on sticks that many Chinese restaurants serve. I would like to make it at home, but I am unsure how to do it. When I have used teriyaki sauces, my family doesn't really care for it. Is the chicken made by a dry rub? What would go into such a dry rub?

Well I don't have found memories of Teriyaki anything. I went out some years ago and did some bulk shopping and bought me two large bottles of Teriyaki sauce and had to end up throwing out almost all of them because I hardly used them and somehow they went off. These days I don't much bulk shopping or share the bulk items as soon as I get them. That avoids wastage.

Anyway to your question see if this video helps. It appears I got the wrong sauce back then based on this video. I missed the secret ingredient:).
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_lC-797RmA

Thank you for the video, it seems easy enough. It seems that my son is the only one that really eats this. I don't mind a bite or two, but it is not something I eat a lot of. Maybe it's the ginger that the restaurants use? I like spicy things, but ginger has an aftertaste I am not that fond of. I do like teriyaki sauce on a pork roast, but my son won't eat that for some odd reason.

The cooking blog Steamy Kitchen has a recipe for home made Teriyaki sauce if you don't care for the bottled variety. It's basically just a blend of soy sauce, brown sugar, fresh ginger, garlic and rice wine for the most part. I believe all you really need to do is add the ingredients to taste, simmer them together in a sauce pan until everything is combined and the sugar dissolves, then strain and chill for future use.

I think part of the trick to making a good Teriyaki chicken (or any meat for that matter) is to marinate it properly so it is absorbed into the meat. But even more importantly is how you cook the meat itself. You need to cook it at the right temperature to develop a nice deep caramelized glaze on the exterior while ensuring the inside of the meat is properly cooked through. I very much prefer dark meat chicken when attempting something like this, since it holds up perfectly to the cooking process whereas white meat gets dried out too easily. I usually cook it at a medium to medium low temperature and take my time, whether I am pan frying the marinated dark meat chicken or grilling it. Cooking it too fast leaves you with a burnt exterior and an under-cooked and gummy interior.

Also, if making your own Teriyaki sauce or purchasing the pre made variety, be sure it's made with real brewed soy sauce. Most common brands in the US aside from Kikkoman don't use real soy sauce - it's some sort of yeast extract crap which tastes nothing like naturally brewed soy sauce..

I agree that the cooking technique matters a great deal. I made this awhile back, from a bottled marinade, and although it wasn't too bad, it wasn't the same as the restaurant variety. I was thinking to get the proper temperature, it would need to be grilled. Since it is February in Iowa, that's a long time to wait to grill. I had not considered pan-frying. Do you really think this will get the same caramelized effect?

any chicken sticks are great we do a kebab of threaded chicken and play around with the marinades,sate with peanuts,sweet chilli,soy based ,different curry marinades,coconut and lime,we then have rice with it,we use a open char grill if possible or a griddle pan

My sister is good in preparing teriyaki chicken and actually she also has a version of pork teriyaki. It was good and I liked it. But when I inquired about the sauce, I really laughed because she just got the teriyaki from the grocery. And since the family loved her teriyaki so she is always using the bottled sauce ever since. And the trick of the teriyaki chicken is the stick, I guess. Without the stick, I don't think it would taste the same.

Well I don't have found memories of Teriyaki anything. I went out some years ago and did some bulk shopping and bought me two large bottles of Teriyaki sauce and had to end up throwing out almost all of them because I hardly used them and somehow they went off. These days I don't much bulk shopping or share the bulk items as soon as I get them. That avoids wastage.

Anyway to your question see if this video helps. It appears I got the wrong sauce back then based on this video. I missed the secret ingredient:).
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_lC-797RmA
Oh my you got the right video there. I am subscribed to Raymond's channel under the art of cooking name. It was from his channel that I learned how to prepare a simple Teriyaki sauce. It was quite a puzzle for me trying to figure what goes in the sauce you will be surprised to see nothing special really. To the OP I recommend you watch that video. I love most of them

Back
Top Bottom