My Wife and Gluten

Local time
1:20 PM
Sounds like a good book title doesn't it? :) I think my wife has a gluten sensitivity. She really doesn't want to have to alter her eating habits, but we're getting to a point where most of what she eats makes her sick. I'd like to know if there are more low cost ways to cook and eat gluten-free.

My ex-wife is seriously allergic to wheat gluten and she has crafted a number of decent breads with no wheat. I have been trying to encourage her to publish. I think I need to forbid her to publish her recipes so she will have it in print in a matter of days.

You know this is interesting. I do not have a gluten sensitivity, as far as I know, but when I go to my pantry and fridge, I really don't find much gluten.

It is possible to avoid it and not substitute something else. I mean, the biggest culprits are the entire bread category. So you cut out your daily sandwiches, your crackers, your pretzels, your pasta… once it isn't a habit though, I don't know, it is easy not to miss it.

Instead of trying to figure out how to "get rid of" or substitute something else for gluten, I'd seriously encourage your wife to start eating completely differently. I'm sure you've heard of the paleo- or "cave man" diet. It is basically protein, fruit/veggies, nuts, berries, etc. Things a cave-man would have eaten.

It can be virtually gluten free. A lot of the gluten you find inside your fridge comes in the form of additives to condiments and salad dressings. So, start seasoning food with more herbs and spices, dress salads in oil and vinegar, top off a great meal with another veggie instead of adding that garlic bread. Again, once you cut it out, I've personally found I don't much miss it.

And once you are out of the habit, you start to know what kinds of food choices to make, so that even at a restaurant you can easily order off a menu and not have to ask for special treatment.

Instead of trying to figure out how to "get rid of" or substitute something else for gluten, I'd seriously encourage your wife to start eating completely differently. I'm sure you've heard of the paleo- or "cave man" diet. It is basically protein, fruit/veggies, nuts, berries, etc. Things a cave-man would have eaten.

Totally agree, I am coeliac, I made peace with it years ago. We have very few substitute bits in but our fridge is stocked with every fruit and veg you could think of. I would rather munch through a whole punnet of strawberries than a eat rubbery gluten free cake. It's not worth it.

It's a whole life style change. I wasn't brought up to eat like that, it wasn't the healthiest upbringing diet so i changed it. I can buy a carrier bag of mushrooms for £1 or a whole watermelon.

The way it was put to me is we all have the potential of cancer cells in our bodies these days. The more I irritate my system and lower my immune system the more they could thrive. If eating certain foods makes someone that seriously ill but you still do it, thats the choice you're making. It's my doctors opinion and it's kept my focus on a healthier life ever since.

I hope it works out for her and yes, more gluten free cook books please!!

We tend to think of early man as being cave-dwellers, but there have always been far more people than caves. Most other types of homes just didn't survive. So many early communities would also now be underwater due to rising sea levels. Grains would have been part of the earliest diets due to evolution on savannahs, along with whatever meats were available. Cooking food coincides with the development of hominids as cooked foods are more easily eaten and adsorbed.

Back
Top Bottom