My wild garlic is growing back.

Lullabelle

Midlands, England
Local time
12:08 AM
Last year we planted some wild garlic bulbs, we had a small crop of mild garlic leaves and made a soup. They have started to grow back and are more pungent than last year so fingers crossed we will have a better crop this year.

the hedgerow wild garlic is showing, and this morning I've seen a lot of wild chives well formed

I ordered the bulbs online and had them delivered to work, folks were walking into the office and wrinkling their noses at the weird smell but didn't know what it was :laugh:

Do you just use the leaves or do you use the bulbs as well?

I'm planning to grow garlic in my garden for the first time this year. Never knew there were "leaves" and that they could be used. This gets me very excited. - Would love to hear more about the adventures of garlic growth. It will be an experiment of sorts for me so I have very low expectations.

I love garlic and using a generous amount of this spice for all my recipes. Not only it really gives a good aroma and taste to the foods I am cooking but as well it is good for health. We are just buying garlic bulbs like 2 to 3 kilos in the local market that is good for long time use already. Sad to say we had no space or place in our house to plant garlic even I want to try doing it.

I ordered the bulbs online and had them delivered to work, folks were walking into the office and wrinkling their noses at the weird smell but didn't know what it was :laugh:
You want to try and explain why your car smells like a garlic factory on a hot day after you've left a bag of wild garlic leaves in there , my kids kept out of the car for weeks

You can eat the wild garlic bulb if you want to. I believe all of the plant is edible, however it is better to only eat the leaves and stems... that way you allow the plant to flower and seed and leave the bulb intact for next year.

This thread contains info on wild garlic - 5 or 6 posts down... https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/wild-garlic-pesto-vegan.272/

This post really made me happy. I didn't know the leaves could be used, I'd just throw them I'm going to find a pesto recipes and make a huge batch and freeze it. Thank you

first pick today of the wild garlic,picked at 8am washed and put in my mussette bag ,road to work turned it into wild garlic and smoked cheese croquettes with fine ratatouille sold my first dish at 12.15

I had some last week, but the patch I pick from is really difficult for me to get to in my current state, so having collected some and had them as wilted leaves with an omelette, I have now ordered some seeds off the internet so that I can have some ready for next year (assuming I am still living where I sow them!). Incidentally, there were 4 bulbs amongst the ones I picked last week, so I planted them out and they have all survived.

Garlic is my favorite and I am convinced my consumption of it is why I hardly ever get sick. I eat more garlic than most people I know, and ironically get sick less than most people I know. This just reminded me that I was going to try and grow some of my own this year, but forgot to get the starter bulbs. Thanks!

image.jpg
There is so much wild garlic this year ,never seen a show like it!

Garlic is my favorite and I am convinced my consumption of it is why I hardly ever get sick. I eat more garlic than most people I know, and ironically get sick less than most people I know. This just reminded me that I was going to try and grow some of my own this year, but forgot to get the starter bulbs. Thanks!

I'm sure a lot of people would agree with you. Garlic has long been known for it's healing properties. Some old books even describe it as the "stinking rose" as the compounds reponsible for it's odour are also the ones with the beneficial properties.

Back
Top Bottom