Name links

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:42 PM
I've noticed when someone refers to another poster they include a live link- @ followed by their name. Can you explain how to do this?

yep - type @ and the first 3 letters of their name without a space and you will get a drop down that gives you either only their name or a choice of names depending on how many people have those first three letters... feel free to experiment with mine if you wish. You need select the avatar not the name when you choose it though because sometimes selecting the name does not actually work depending on your web browser and the clicking the avatar is more reliable.

@mor gives me this

Untitled.jpg

If it fills in the rest of the name for you and puts a space after it. @morning glory

yep - type @ and the first 3 letters of their name without a space and you will get a drop down that gives you either only their name or a choice of names depending on how many people have those first three letters... feel free to experiment with mine if you wish. You need select the avatar not the name when you choose it though because sometimes selecting the name does not actually work depending on your web browser and the clicking the avatar is more reliable.

@mor gives me this

View attachment 1000
If it fills in the rest of the name for you and puts a space after it. @morning glory

I'll try clicking on name first (I'm sure I've done that before, but hey ho, here goes): @SatNavSaysStraightOn

That last post seemed to work. I was replying to you directly from your post by clicking quote and then reply buttons at the bottom of your answer.

Testing again, now not directly from your post, but generally, in this thread... First with just your name. That didn't work. I'll try the Avatar. That didn't work either. Nothing either time. Could it be that if I'm not directly replying to you, just 'generally' replying to the thread, it doesn't work for some reason?

That last post seemed to work. I was replying to you directly from your post by clicking quote and then reply buttons at the bottom of your answer.

Testing again, now not directly from your post, but generally, in this thread... First with just your name. That didn't work. I'll try the Avatar. That didn't work either. Nothing either time. Could it be that if I'm not directly replying to you, just 'generally' replying to the thread, it doesn't work for some reason?
Tagging someone when you're quoting their post will only give the one alert.
Quoting their post through the quote button does much the same as using the Reply button. You get a chance to use more than one persons posts though.

If I'm tagging a person, I'll type in the first part of their username, until a list of names or their name appears, then select them.

@morning glory, all in lower case. System will correct for any upper case letters used.
On a phone it doesn't seem to recognise the username, so was typed in full.

Last edited:
@morning glory you have to use the @ sign AND the first 3 letters to trigger the system to even consider the tag. The place where the drop down turns up is also confusing. For some reason it always comes up over on the far left, not where i am typing and it only stays up for about 30-40 seconds so if you don't select it fast enough it is gone. But as @classic33 points out, your phone or more accurately your web browser may not support this function. Can you tell me what web browser you are using and on what device/operating system (iOS/android/windows)?

@morning glory you have to use the @ sign AND the first 3 letters to trigger the system to even consider the tag. The place where the drop down turns up is also confusing. For some reason it always comes up over on the far left, not where i am typing and it only stays up for about 30-40 seconds so if you don't select it fast enough it is gone. But as @classic33 points out, your phone or more accurately your web browser may not support this function. Can you tell me what web browser you are using and on what device/operating system (iOS/android/windows)?
I'm using Macbook Pro with Safari. But I've now got it sorted, I think. Was just me being thick. I didn't realise that the link only becomes live when the post appears (not when you are typing it). So I'll just do it once more to prove I've got it right! Thanks, @SatNavSaysStraightOn

Back
Top Bottom