Nasty habits

thegrey

Veteran
Local time
7:47 AM
Why in the world do all people in food service NOT wear hairnets and gloves when preparing food? I work for a giant retailer that has a food service section, and ALL employees there, even the men, wear this kind of gear when behind the counter. I am so tired of taking food back to restaurants because it has a hair in it! Would it really be that expensive to take precautions?

I worked at many food service places that had those same strict rules & guidelines in place there also.
I've been a customer at places where I've seen the workers go use the bathroom, and when they are done, they just walk right past the sink without even THINKING about washing their hands!! :yuck::sick::stop:

Last edited:
i complete risk assessments for the industry all the time ,and the rules are quite strict,hair coverings to be worn ,but the problem then can come from waitresses,
and gloves,what they can help with ,they can then take away ,i.e. if they don't get changed regularly then you will risk cross contamination,
and our kitchen is hotter than hell,try to wear gloves during service my hands would melt,and even a skull cap is a chore,
in food production rules are very strict,with decontamination areas,for employees and comodites,beard snoods ,hair nets,i even have a chemist who i know who does ,production dust risk assessments,i.e. flour dust should not build up as it can cause an explosion ,theres more to food production that meets the eye,
but hair or any foreign body in food is not executable ,but the rules in the uk definitely are aimed at reducing these and many other problems

There IS a sign in the men's & women's room that reads; "Caution; Employees must wash hands before returning to work."
Think that any of the take heed to the sign? Hah!! :stop:

There IS a sign in the men's & women's room that reads; "Caution; Employees must wash hands before returning to work."
Think that any of the take heed to the sign? Hah!! :stop:
you obviously think that the biggest cause of food poisoning is by food handlers is not washing their hands!
there are signs in kitchens every where ,as well as employees having to attend food hygiene training every three years,in the uk,and having to sign to say they understand basic training,also signs to say they should not enter a food production area showing signs of sickness ,but sometimes that is to late,
I do this as a job,not a hobby,i have to examine cases and take them on there merit,common denominators,showing paper work and training,due diligence is the key word,there are to many food handlers that give all the training ,lip service ,its a fact...

you obviously think that the biggest cause of food poisoning is by food handlers is not washing their hands!
there are signs in kitchens every where ,as well as employees having to attend food hygiene training every three years,in the uk,and having to sign to say they understand basic training,also signs to say they should not enter a food production area showing signs of sickness ,but sometimes that is to late,
I do this as a job,not a hobby,i have to examine cases and take them on there merit,common denominators,showing paper work and training,due diligence is the key word,there are to many food handlers that give all the training ,lip service ,its a fact...

No, I DON'T think that is the biggest cause of food poisoning, but it IS A RULE FOR THE WORKERS. And some, if not most, food-borne illnesses come from the hands if they are not washed properly or at all.
I've been in the men's room to relive myself, and I've seen workers come in there and literally walk right back out after using the urinal or toilet and never wash their hands.

When I was in a culinary arts training program, part of the training had included the Serve-Safe study and test, which I've successfully passed, along with the cooking class. And out of all of the possibilities of bacteria, germs & pathogens being spread, washing of the hands, personal hygiene, hairnets and with men, clean shaven faces ARE the #1 priorities to eliminate them in the workplace, especially if you work in a hospital kitchen or a flight kitchen.

Food temps are a big thing as well, be it on the steam table, in the fried or freezer and during food preparations. :stop:

Last edited:
No, I DON'T think that is the biggest cause of food poisoning, but it IS A RULE FOR THE WORKERS. And some, if not most, food-borne illnesses come from the hands if they are not washed properly or at all.
I've been in the men's room to relive myself, and I've seen workers come in there and literally walk right back out after using the urinal or toilet and never wash their hands.

When I was in a culinary arts training program, part of the training had included the Serve-Safe study and test, which I've successfully passed, along with the cooking class. And out of all of the possibilities of bacteria, germs & pathogens being spread, washing of the hands, personal hygiene, hairnets and with men, clean shaven faces ARE the #1 priorities to eliminate them in the workplace, especially if you work in a hospital kitchen or a flight kitchen.

Food temps are a big thing as well, be it on the steam table, in the fried or freezer and during food preparations. :stop:
That's why I never touch door handles or taps with out a piece of toilet roll or paper,just think about the risks of that,
I just hope that after the toilet your colleagues followed procedures on re entering the kitchen,
The transportation of food is a big source of concern,I have had to study and worked in container logistics and how it's done,temp controls of food ,records ,
Restaurants have to record ,arrival temps,fridge temps,service temps,prope test records and guarantee providence of food

A colleague of mine who teaches food hygiene to a extremely high level,was paid£30 per nurse by the nhs to teach nurses and auxhillary staff to wash there hands properly ,concentrating on finger webs ,wrists,etc then they have to do a uv test and swab,some of the results at the start were scary,this was only a few years ago
Just makes you think! Glove discipline is a good thing if it is possible to adorn them

That's why I never touch door handles or taps with out a piece of toilet roll or paper,just think about the risks of that,
I just hope that after the toilet your colleagues followed procedures on re entering the kitchen,
The transportation of food is a big source of concern,I have had to study and worked in container logistics and how it's done,temp controls of food ,records ,
Restaurants have to record ,arrival temps,fridge temps,service temps,prope test records and guarantee providence of food

I've been doing that myself.
I don't touch the door knobs or handles on the way out of the men's room. I also get a piece of paper towel or toilet paper before I open the door to leave. :wink: :stop:

Just a point - would offer a suggestion that many food problems are caused by reheated or not properly cooked food [or a combination of the two]. At least with a hair in your dinner you can not eat it and complain.
PS As for the above I used to do the same but now I try to carry a few of the sterilizing 'wet wipe' things with me to use after I return to the table [ladies with handbags [purses over in the states ?] are really useful here !]. Ok they smell a bit odd but they're better than nothing.

I think what's worse is when people do not care to respect the signs that dictate one should wash their hands. That's a tough on to enforce.

Cook c
Just a point - would offer a suggestion that many food problems are caused by reheated or not properly cooked food [or a combination of the two]. At least with a hair in your dinner you can not eat it and complain.
PS As for the above I used to do the same but now I try to carry a few of the sterilizing 'wet wipe' things with me to use after I return to the table [ladies with handbags [purses over in the states ?] are really useful here !]. Ok they smell a bit odd but they're better than nothing.
Cook chill and reheat all carry specific guide lines in the food industry and to honest is safe , again if you adhere to the simple rules,
Food is cooked to a temp and recorded , blast chilled to a certain temp and recorded, labeled and dated, refrigerator temp checked and recorded , then reheated and recorded, if hot food is stored hot it must be temp checked,a small forest has just been felled to get the paper for this
It's only when you think about people's dirty habits that you realize , what a mine field food industry is

It is amazing to me that people will go into the bathroom use the toilet and not wash their hands. When I worked in a restaurant I would see cooks sneez into the grill with food cooking on it. I even saw a server sneez right into a plate of food and take it to the table as if nothing had happened to the food. Food handling maybe a bigger concern than peoples germs as we do build a resistance to other peoples germs.

It is amazing to me that people will go into the bathroom use the toilet and not wash their hands. When I worked in a restaurant I would see cooks sneez into the grill with food cooking on it. I even saw a server sneez right into a plate of food and take it to the table as if nothing had happened to the food. Food handling maybe a bigger concern than peoples germs as we do build a resistance to other peoples germs.
The nasty virus in the uk is norovirus, or the winter vomiting virus,spread by humans, by coughing sneezing, etc gives symptoms of food poisoning , it shuts wards at hospitals and even hotels, they have to be cleaned throughly before reopening , I have had teams of cleaners having to do this, every thing has to be sanitized

You can also get a hand sanitizer spray that comes in a pen-style plastic pocket little container. All it is, is rubbing alcohol. This also helps to fight germs and bacteria that might be on the hands. You can fill it with more alcohol when it is empty, instead of going out to buy another one. Everyone has rubbing alcohol at home. Who doesn't? :wink: :stop:

Back
Top Bottom