Recipe Nettle Soup

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
11:24 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
It's that time of year now in the UK. The nettles are starting to grow and that means nettle soup, nettle bread, nettle gnocchi, nettle cordial or even just plain nettles instead of spinach - they are far tastier and more nutritious! And the best way to harvest nettles - thick gloves (I personally wear a thin set of cotton gloves and then some marigolds - rubber gloves), a basket/plastic bag and either scissors or a sharp knife, unless you are one of those brave idiots... Look for young, green, vigorous growth away from areas dog's frequent and use the tips and maybe the first few pairs of leaves.

So my version of nettle soup - serves 6

Nettle Soup
Ingredients

1 carrier bag full of nettle tips
4 medium onions, finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
3oz/80g marg/butter
2L veg stock
seasoning
crème fraiche/sour cream/dairy free alternative (creamed cashew nuts & lemon juice works really well)

Method
  • Wash and pick over the nettles and drain in a colander (suggest you keep the gloves on!)
  • Fry the onions in the marg/butter for around 5 minutes.
  • Add the garlic and briefly cook.
  • Add the washed nettles to the onions and darlic and cook gentley for a few minutes until they darken in colour slightly.
  • Add the stock and bring to the boil, simmer for 5 minutes.
  • Liquidize the soup until smooth
  • Reheat, season and serve with a dollop of crème fraiche/dairy free alternative and some crusty white bread!

I have cooked nettles as a spinach substitute and I liked the taste. I shall definitely be trying nettle soup soon as I'm planning to go for my first nettle forage of the year this week. I save money and increase the nutritional content by foraging and look forward to eating a good amount of nettles throughout the season as they often seem to put on new growth after their first appearance.

a dairy free version might be possible in my current state... and you shouldn't need to cook the nettles either - I like the idea!
omitting the cheese is a easy call,youthful leaves or tips don't need blanching but as they get older it pays sometimes,i prefer to use roasted garlic in pestos ,as i do not like the harshness of raw garlic,using different nuts as well changes the pesto,i am a big fan of a few pecans added, a recipe gives you the knowledge the heart and imagination gives you the dish

omitting the cheese is a easy call,youthful leaves or tips don't need blanching but as they get older it pays sometimes,i prefer to use roasted garlic in pestos ,as i do not like the harshness of raw garlic,using different nuts as well changes the pesto,i am a big fan of a few pecans added, a recipe gives you the knowledge the heart and imagination gives you the dish
I used to make a lot of wild garlic pesto that was vegan... I'm just thinking through the idea of nettle pesto given I don't have (physical) access to the wild garlic this year, but will have to nettles... and plenty of them as well.

Is this the kind of nettle that have the stalks that sting if you touch them? They are prolific in the woods around here and I have heard that people cook and eat them. If this is the same kind, I might venture out into the Forrest and collect some so I can try your recipe.

Is this the kind of nettle that have the stalks that sting if you touch them? They are prolific in the woods around here and I have heard that people cook and eat them. If this is the same kind, I might venture out into the Forrest and collect some so I can try your recipe.
yes.... it is. there are continental as well as regional variations but they are all edible. Even the dead nettle is edible but it does not grow quite so prolifically.

Good to know! I have always wanted to try nettles because I can get them for free, but never really had a recipe for them before. I will give yours a try.

As above - yes. And it's a revenge attack for all the times you've been stung !
PS Simple nettle tea is quite nice too.

Thanks for that post and the recipe, i have never thought about making nettle soup before but i'll give it a go. Your post has stirred memories in my mind of simpler, more innocent times, long summers in the countryside, a different, stress free way of living. I suppose picking the nettles is the hardest part but there are plenty of them around. They are a great source of vitamins and contain good levels of protein, iron, calcium and magnesium.

i managed to bag me some wild garlic chives made great soup yesterday with some eryngii mushroom trimmings, i filled my musette bag with them on my ride to work and had them in a soup within 45 mins

Back
Top Bottom