Never say never

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
4:21 PM
Have you ever started to like a food (or drink) that you previously disliked? I suppose this happens a lot as we transition from childhood to adults. But has it ever happened to you later in life?

Well, it just happened to me! For years I've disliked avocados. I wouldn't say I hated them but I wouldn't eat them through choice. I found them simultaneously bland, over creamy and uninteresting. Lately I've had some indigestion problems so that may be something to do with this - but today, I had a sudden craving to eat avocado. As luck would have it, I had one. I'd bought some for a salad I was making (not for me).

So I cut one in half and chopped up the flesh with some soy sauce, lemon juice and black pepper. I found it totally delicious! And it hit that 'craving' spot. It need the soy and lemon though...

Have you had a 'volte-face' about a particular food or drink?

Last edited:
@morning glory , can you eat pistachios and sesame seeds? If so, make up some dukkah and try it on the avocado. I mash the avo with lemon or lime juice, a bit of EVOO, salt and pepper, and spread it on toast, top with dukkah and sometimes add a poached egg or 2 to go with. Makes a nice breakfast or brunch. You can use walnuts instead of pistachios if you wish.

I never much liked Brussel sprouts either until maybe 7 or 8 years ago when Craig found a recipe that uses bacon and balsamic among other things. We also found a couple of years ago that we both like brussel sprout chips baked in the oven with some EVOO and s and p. I think a large part of people not liking them is the fact that they are usually way overcooked and have that nasty cabbage taste and sulfur smell.

It's been lots of years but I was at least well into 30s, maybe early 40s until I found a recipe for collard greens, which made me and Craig's brother turn from haters into lovers of them.

Last edited:
@morning glory , can you eat pistachios and sesame seeds? If so, make up some dukkah and try it on the avocado. I mash the avo with lemon or lime juice, a bit of EVOO, salt and pepper, and spread it on toast, top with dukkah and sometimes add a poached egg or 2 to go with. Makes a nice breakfast or brunch. You can use walnuts instead of pistachios if you wish.

Yes I can eat any nuts - I'm not diet restricted at all (except for mayonnaise, taramasalata and coconut cream). I like the idea - dukkah also has cumin, of course which as I write, is the Recipe Challenge ingredient. I would personally leave out the EVOO as avocado is fatty enough - but I will try it.

Yes I can eat any nuts - I'm not diet restricted at all (except for mayonnaise, taramasalata and coconut cream). I like the idea - dukkah also has cumin, of course which as I write, is the Recipe Challenge ingredient. I would personally leave out the EVOO as avocado is fatty enough - but I will try it.

Adding just a bit of the EVOO makes it more spreadable.

Yes. As I got older and my taste buds matured from trying more new foods and cuisines, my likes grew as well.

Hated spinach. My mother would mix it into mashed potatoes. Still wouldn't eat spinach. Enjoy it now though.

Didn't have much exposure to avocado till I moved to California. Lots of Mexican food and restaurants here. Didn't care for Mexican food either. Warmed up a bit to Mexican food somewhat, if it's not spicey. Still not my favorite cuisine.

Cilantro. Not a huge fan, but there are some dishes that wouldn't be the same without it. Mexican restaurants here put it in everything. A little goes a long way.

Like avacado toast in a variety of ways, in salads etc. There's a beautiful pic of an avocado strawberry salad I like. Will try to post a link when I can. I've seen baking recipes, cake etc?, calling for avocado (healthy fat) replacing butter, because of it's creamy, neutral flavor. Haven't tried it. Might be healthier, but to me, fat is still fat. I eat it in small portions.

Last edited:
Anything cooked by my ex step father. Take him out of the cooking and anything is edible!

Seriously? Aubergine because of my ex step father, but I simply love it.

Soya milk, it had improved no ends over the years and is much more drinkable now.

Oranges, first had them fresh off the tree 8 years ago and the difference is amazing. Now when they are in season, I love them but that seasonal period is so very short.

Dates. The named varieties are just fantastic. I'm looking forward to getting some again back in the UK. A friend of my husband's did his pilgrimage just before we came out to Australia and had noted that Stuart often bought dates from one off the local Muslim shops. He brought some back for us, wow. Varieties we'd not heard of before. They were stunning.

I could go on, but...

:laugh: Trust me - it will work. I'm determined! Jury's out at the moment on the meat for the topping. I don't want to go the traditional ham route...
Again, I can't believe I'm trying to help, but thinly sliced ribbons of pork tenderloin, after the tenderloin has been seared all around, would work, and would look beautiful as well.

Back
Top Bottom