New feature! The CookingBites Cookalong: Coq au Vin

I did use shallots but I chopped them quite finely, so whatever you see that you are thinking are mushrooms, are mushrooms. And yes I did use streaky bacon. Minor variation from the recipe there, the recipe says 150g, the packet of streaky bacon was 250g and I used the lot. Oh and the red wine, the recipe says 500ml but I put nearly the whole 750ml bottle in. All but the Keith Floyd style glass I took out of it and drank while I was cooking. Well, it would have been rude not to.

James Martin's recipe says:
150g/5½oz shallots, peeled but left whole

I think you missed a trick there - the whole shallots are delicious and succulent!

Should we expect any more Cookalong Coq au Vin participants? We can extend the deadline if you let us know... :D

The deadline is today. Three of us have cooked along so far with excellent results.

So @SatNavSaysStraightOn, @buckytom, @Cinisajoy, @Rocklobster, @MypinchofItaly - shall I extend the deadline? If not I will end this Challenge and start a new one if members would like. :)
I'm only able to purchase something suitable to pretend to be chicken when I'm in Canberra city. Not often. However you're in luck and I'm there today but it would be Friday before I could even try to cook it, I'll need to cook something on Friday so if you want please extend but we are due chicks on Saturday and if I don't get chance before then I'll be a touch busy.... It's up to you. SNSSO

I'm only able to purchase something suitable to pretend to be chicken when I'm in Canberra city. Not often. However you're in luck and I'm there today but it would be Friday before I could even try to cook it, I'll need to cook something on Friday so if you want please extend but we are due chicks on Saturday and if I don't get chance before then I'll be a touch busy.... It's up to you. SNSSO
Lets see what @buckytom says - he sounded like he had a recipe lined up! @Rocklobster said he might be too busy... so no worries there.

I've got the recipe but sadly no time to cook it at this time. Very busy at work, and any free time I have is being spent on the lawn and shrubs. Having a big yard is nice, but it takes so much work. And then I have to get the boat fixed as well (new prop and fuel gauge).
Sorry I couldn't participate.

Hmmm. Simon Hopkinson. Ever heard of him? I did recognise his face, so I have seen him before, but that is definitely the first time that I have caught on to his name, and the first time I have switched on to his cooking. Apparently, he's a food writer, like Nigel Slater, and the whole style of presentation of him cooking his dish was very reminiscent of the style used with Nigel Slater. Anyway, I just watched him on Saturday Kitchen, and take a guess what he cooked. The clue is in the thread I am posting this on. And, maybe I'm just a sucker for the style of presentation, but he certainly made Coq au Vin seem like a dish I have to have a go at. Wait a minute, I already did. Yeah, but not like this.

So first thing, like @morning glory, he did reduce the wine first, but beyond simply reducing the wine, his marinade was a recipe in itself. And, he did burn off the alcohol and explained exactly why you should. Another interesting thing he did - authentically French according to him - was garnish it with triangles of fried bread edged in chopped curly leaf parsley.

Anyway, I tried to find the recipe online, and I found a link to it, but the link doesn't work. I have noted the whole thing down and am perfectly willing to post it up here if anyone is interested. It would, of course, be my attempt at noting it down rather than his actual recipe.

Yes, I'm quite a fan.

This link works. Is it the same recipe?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/coq_au_vin_15354

Interesting, that is the same link, and it doesn't work for me:

upload_2017-5-27_12-8-27.png

So I can't verify that it is the same, but I would have to imagine that it is.

Of course, at the moment, if you didn't see the broadcast, you would still be able to watch it on iPlayer, if you were interested. Not sure how long that would remain the case.

Back
Top Bottom