New Rice Cooker

Corzhens

Veteran
Local time
12:27 AM
Our rice cooker gave up but not really. One of the small legs was detached so it couldn't stand without a prop. But it is working well so our housemaid did not report the problem that occurred a month ago. We have a spare rice cooker so that is no problem. But we are thinking of buying a replacement for the spare and probably we would acquire the more expensive brand of rice cooker.

A rice cooker? I wondered it they were still in use. I had one many years ago when I got married. I wonder if it's still around. Cooking rice in a regular saucepan is like second nature so I don't think I am going to go pull the house down trying to find out if I still have one.

Oops. I just looked up the modern rice cooker and mine looked nothing like these modern ones. I always realised there are several things you can prepare in a rice cooker. I still won't rush out to buy one.

We use our rice cooker all the time. I have a bad habit of always boiling over the water when I try to make rice on the cooktop, so we finally bought the rice cooker. Ours wasn't very expensive at all, and honestly I can't even tell you what brand it is, but we've had it for many years and it still works wonderfully. If memory serves me correctly, we purchased it at Target and it was the only option available. I'm sure we didn't pay more than $25 for it.

I got a rice cooker as a Christmas gift many years ago and it is still sitting in the box in my storage room. It had never been used or even opened for that matter. I find it just as easy to make it on the stove top in a sauce pan. I have done it that way for years and I have never had a problem with it not turning out. Maybe if the used the rice cooker I would like it. It just never seemed like something that would save any time to me.

B&D 16-cups Rice Cooker.jpg
B&D 16-cups Rice Cooker.jpg 2.jpg

Here's mine. A B&D 16-cups rice cooker. :wink:

I can't see much point in one either. It would just take up yet more cupboard space which I don't have. I used to cook rice in the microwave which is an option if you don't trust yourself boiling it on the stovetop. Not sure why I don't do that anymore... it used to turn out perfectly.

I can't see much point in one either. It would just take up yet more cupboard space which I don't have. I used to cook rice in the microwave which is an option if you don't trust yourself boiling it on the stovetop. Not sure why I don't do that anymore... it used to turn out perfectly.

I've always been told that cooking rice in the microwave doe not save any time at all. That it's a waste of time.:headshake::stop:

Our rice cooker broke down too so we're temporarily using a normal kitchen pot. If you are going to buy a new one, I highly suggest buying Japanese brands as they work really well and will last you a lifetime!

If you are trying to learn about some Japanese cooking you will be surprised to know that they cook a meal using a rice cooker. I am not yet familiar with the casserole thing but that is how it appears to me. They put rice together with the rest of the ingredients in one go and I was really impressed I will use those recipes one day.

I have real issues cooking rice on the hob - I have no idea why, but I just can't get it right. Maybe its just one of those things that I can't get the hang of :-(
I had been thinking about a rice cooker but like @morning glory I didn't want loads of one-trick pony gadgets taking up my cupboard space. I found the solution in the end: my Instant Pot is pressure cooker, slow cooker and a rice cooker all in one so doesn't take up any more room than my old slow cooker did and now my rice turns out perfectly every time :-D
Instant-Pot-Lux-60.jpg

Our rice cooker gave up but not really. One of the small legs was detached so it couldn't stand without a prop. But it is working well so our housemaid did not report the problem that occurred a month ago. We have a spare rice cooker so that is no problem. But we are thinking of buying a replacement for the spare and probably we would acquire the more expensive brand of rice cooker.
I actually have a rice cooker, but have never used it. I am not usually making a large quantity of rice at one time, and it is pretty simple to make on the stovetop so I don't think I really need to bother with a rice cooker. Maybe if I was having a dinner party and making rice as part of it, I would get one. It could be a good thing.

I cook my rice in the microwave. My daughter who I live with does have a rice cooker and cooks her rice in the cooker. She likes to cook brown rice along with some other types of rice. I just cook white rice and don't mind using the microwave to cook my rice.

We are using a rice cooker everyday when we are cooking our rice. It is very useful to us especially if we cook our rice at night so that early in the morning I am not in a hurry cooking because my husband goes to work early. Even it is still plug on at night up to early morning you don't have to worry that the rice will get burn because our rice cooker here had good quality because it is made of ceramic.

This is our rice cooker at home.

Attachments

• 20160308_212418.jpg
    20160308_212418.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 276
  • 20160308_212528.jpg
    20160308_212528.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom