New Staple Food

Ellyn

Veteran
Local time
6:52 AM
I don't mean eating (or feeding) bendy wires that keep stacks of paper together.

Lately I've been reading about how pasta, white rice, and white bread are not good for us because they lead to sugar crashes. But these, to my understanding, have been a staple in many people's diets all around the world for much of our history. They're staples, which means that they're most of the meal.

I've been looking into the effect of other staple foods on nourishment and health, particularly corn and potatoes.

Personally, though, oats have been my favorite. I have no problem with gluten, and oatmeal is so versatile and filling, with fiber and protein in it. I tried out brown rice and red rice, but they take far too long and too much water to properly cook--perhaps I should have soaked them to let the grains ferment and sprout.

What does staple food mean to you?

Haha, that made me laugh, I knew what you meant. :P I have read the same thing, and I think it is true for the most part. But that is because most of the stuff you buy if laden with sugar. I make bread myself with no sugar and it doesn't make me crash as hard I found. Now when I eat store bread it is so sweet. I don't like it. Also, for the brown rice, I found a simple way to cook it. In a baking pan put 1/2 cup of brown rice and 1 cup of water with a bouillon cube. Cover it and bake it for an hour at 375 degrees F. But I feel like staples are the main part of your diet/ meal. I feel like it doesn't have to be carbs. For people on a paleo diet the staple will be protein. For a vegetarian probably a certain vegetable or beans. The "staple" carb of my and my fiance's meals are usually brown rice or oats. Though we only eat that sometimes. We mainly focus on veggies, then meat, then carbs.

It is true and that is why I switched to brown rice. I do love pasta but I don't eat it hardly at all anymore. When I do its the whole wheat kind which I do like.

I consider a staple food to be a food that you eat often/ends up on most peoples dinner table. My family and I have always been big on white carbs, cutting white rice, pasta and white bread out of our diets has been hard. We replaced all of our white bread with 7 grain (or something comparable) and it is really delicious but also extremely filling. Instead of white rice we occasionally have brown rice but for the most part make quinoa. Pasta has been the hardest to kick, we have tried spaghetti squash and that wasn't a big hit so we started buying whole wheat pasta. There is definitely a difference in texture and taste but it is much better for us so we're trying to get used to it.

Well it is really not easy to do away with old habits of eating. Rice, potatoes, pasta, bread - these are all staple foods. However, my family and I have cut out the white rice and the white bread from our diet for the most part, and for years now have been using mostly brown rice as well as bran bread. Pasta is seldom cooked now, but is still used every now and then when we need a little change. Potatoes are also known to lead to sugar crashes, but these have not yet been eradicated from our diet. We do use oats on a regular basis as well, and also a lot of vegetables..

In our family, aside from the white rice as staples, we always have cut up assorted vegetables. We go to the market every afternoon near closing time to buy these cut up assorted vegetables from sellers who pack these in small bags. A pack would have cut up carrots, cabbage, legumes, bell pepper, and chayote. We would saute these as side dishes or as part of a soupy dish. Veggies and rice are our staples.

Back
Top Bottom