No distilled water in a Keurig?!!

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
6:10 AM
Say it isn't so! I was told that distilled water can't be used in a Keurig coffee maker. That supposedly, the newer sensors in the latest machines won't work properly if you do. Who knows this to be true? Or is it just a rumor? Somewhere along the line, it's been said that filtered water may be better. Is my new machine affected by this unknown theory? Has it really been proven that this is an 'old wives tale or not? How would anyone be able to filter water to go into a Keurig machine? Or filter the water that has already been put into the tank? :yuck:
Keurig Coffee Maker..jpg

Last edited:
The main thing you want is water that has had most of the mineral content removed, if tap water where you live is high in minerals.

CD

The main thing you want is water that has had most of the mineral content removed, if tap water where you live is high in minerals.

CD
Yeah, funny thing is I've been using well water (we have really delicious deep well water) for about 10 years in my iCoffee single cup brewer without problems. I know it's mineral heavy, too. The descaling is important.

I don’t used distilled water for that because it doesn’t taste good. It makes bland, flat-tasting tea.

New Keurigs with mineral sensing capabilities for the water??? Over complicated machine that makes sub-par coffee.
I gave up mine a long time ago (before they added such a fancy sensor).
I have one in my pantry that's been there for over 10 years. I should probably give it away. I like my iCoffee machine though.

New Keurigs with mineral sensing capabilities for the water??? Over complicated machine that makes sub-par coffee.
I gave up mine a long time ago (before they added such a fancy sensor).
My wife uses the Keurig but the coffee doesn't appeal to me. I do what I have always done. That is to brew home ground espresso roast coffee in the French press. We put filtered water in the Keurig but I use it right out of the tap for my pour over coffee. I do use a "nespresso" machine for actual espresso coffee. It works fine for me because I use sugar in my espresso. I drink espresso coffee brewed in the French press black but I prefer actual espresso with sugar. I'm probably breaking some gourmet rule in there somewhere.

I drink espresso coffee brewed in the French press black but I prefer actual espresso with sugar. I'm probably breaking some gourmet rule in there somewhere.
I once (accidentally) attended a coffee tasting. The beans were toasted, ground and brewed on site, and then served as "espresso" with no sugar. I was told that this was to fully appreciate the acidity and the "depth" of the coffee.
I said " Sod it - put two sugars in mine":roflmao::roflmao:

Back
Top Bottom