No food

earthmama1

Veteran
Local time
12:05 PM
How bad is it to go the whole day without eating? Like until dinnertime around 5-6ish. Sometimes I have so much going on and busy with my daughter I just dont have the time or I simply forget. I know this may sound crazy, who doesnt have time for a sandwich right? Sometimes it really is impossible!

No, it really isn't possible not to have time for a sandwich. Are you also saying that if you need to go to the toilet you don't have time to do it and you hold it in until 5-6pm?

Obviously it's not that good for the body, but it will survive. I would recommend having a decent breakfast and that way only a quick snack would most likely be enough for lunch.

Earthmama1,

You are taxing your body by not refueling it at the right time. I suspect that that is not a good idea. I quite can understand your perspective though.

So, I suggest that you break your tasks for the day. Classify your tasks as
1. Those you can do without moving around much and
2. those that require you to move around.

Once you have tasks in the first category, try to have your snacks or lunch during the that phase. Try it out. Maybe you can do good.

You should try to eat at least once until 5pm. You will deprive your body of nutrients, and it will start using up those in your body, leading to dangerous deficits. Also, if you don`t eat until that late, you will have no energy to go through the day, and will feel sluggish all the time.

While it's not "impossible," I can totally relate to what you mean. Sometimes it feels more important to rush off to the next item or you're so caught up in things that 5 pm rolls around in no time!

That being said, it's much better for you to try to fit in 1-2 meals, even if they're just snacks. You're likely feeling exhausted by the end of the day and that's NOT just because you're running around doing so much. It's also because your body has been deprived of the food and nutrients that it gets its energy from, so you're dragging yourself down even more. Try to make some meals in advance so that you always have something quick to grab, or keep things like granola bars in your purse for those super busy days.

There is always time to fix yourself something to eat. I don't mean to sound rude or condescending, but if you were to type out a list of all the things you needed to get done in a given day and looked over it, you will probably see a lot of other moments where you are wasting too much time on something, or double planning things on top of each other that you shouldn't, etc...

I never really understood the people who cook and prep a whole bunch of meals ahead for the week, for example. In the time they spent doing all that cooking at once, they could have knocked a bunch of other "to-do" items off their list, and had time to spare throughout the week to relax and make themselves a meal each day. Then the food is all re-heated and mushy, and the prepped chopped stuff is all rotting by the time they go to use it.

I never really understood the people who cook and prep a whole bunch of meals ahead for the week, for example. In the time they spent doing all that cooking at once, they could have knocked a bunch of other "to-do" items off their list, and had time to spare throughout the week to relax and make themselves a meal each day. Then the food is all re-heated and mushy, and the prepped chopped stuff is all rotting by the time they go to use it.

And that I have to disagree with. If you do it correctly and choose the right foods, it should never be mushy, nor should your foods be going bad. The problem with assuming that using the same time to get other to-do items out of the way will free up time later in the week is that.... well... some of our schedules simply never feel like they have time left in them. There are always items left pending and sure, we could push some of them aside, but some people tend to push the food task aside during that. It's why fast food becomes so easy for some people to just 'grab and go' even though it's horrible for them.

I have done this a handful of times and it is not pretty. I feel out of whack for the entire day. I try to carry a granola bar in my purse and a water bottle. If that can get me to 5 pm then I am good. I also like carrying fruit and nuts. That keeps me full when I am having a really busy day.

I don't think it's a very healthy practice. Your body needs energy to expel, and it's probably best to constantly provide it rather than running on backup energy you have stored. If you are really always pressed for time, then I'd recommend just picking up bags of nuts, crackers, grains or even fruits so you'd have something to munch on without having to spend time to cook or prepare the food.

I do not do well with going that long without eating. I have found that if I wait until I feel like I am starving, I overeat. I do this all the time. I am busy too, but I have to make a point of having at least a healthy snack every few hours or I pay for it in the long run by overeating and by eating quick fast food or junk food. I recommend planning your day in advance. Once you know your schedule it will be easier to remember it and stick to it.

There was a brief time in the past when I regularly forgot to eat because I had so many other things on my mind and things to do. However, I would not recommend starting the day without breakfast, even if its only a smoothie or a piece of fruit.

Having an empty stomach all day can have an adverse affect on health and, even if you don't feel hungry.

I also think that after a day of not eating there is going to be more temptation to overeat in the evening, which is also not good for health.

Its not healthy to do at all; it throws your blood sugar off and generally it will keep you down. As Willie mentioned you will tend to overeat because your body is desperately trying to catch up its blood sugar. Five or six small meals a day are the best way to go because it will keep your blood sugar on a steady plane. Emotionally and physically you will feel a lot better too.

Wow, if I go without eating that long, it's usually because I'm already sick and likely can't keep food down any way. I don't think it's possible for me to forget to eat, my body will remind me quickly!

I never really understood the people who cook and prep a whole bunch of meals ahead for the week

Prepping a meal for the next day might be a simple solution to the original poster's problem. Except, well, EarthMama1, you sound extraordinarily insensitive to hunger pangs, if you can actually forget to eat or even forget to bring a meal that you cooked and prepared the night before or whenever you had more time.

Are you also saying that if you need to go to the toilet you don't have time to do it and you hold it in until 5-6pm? Obviously it's not that good for the body, but it will survive.

Some body processes are more insistent than others, depending on the individual.

I guess it's okay if the one time you get to eat, you eat well enough to replenish what you've burned and for sustaining life. Otherwise, it's highly likely that starving yourself is going to take a major toll on your organ functioning, bone density, even the health of your brain as you age... and more. If your body can't access vitamins when it needs them, hello sepsis. If your body starts self-cannibalizing for energy, hello fainting spells.

There's time for a sandwich. Maybe you just can't organize, maybe you need (it is a need) someone to help organize time and resources for you so that you can eat and stay alive... or maybe, for whatever reason, you just don't want to? Or prioritize too many more other things? I'm a recovering anorexic myself, so I... probably can't relate, actually. Sorry. Don't know why I even brought that up!

Back
Top Bottom