Non-Chunky Apple/Pear Pie filling?

Ellyn

Veteran
Local time
3:40 PM
Not that I don't like cutting into a pie and having apple chunks spill out like jewels covered in a molten glaze of its own juices with sugar and spice (Mmm!) but I wanted to complete a set of pies that I've been planning: the first would be a root, the second would be a trailing gourd, and the third... a tree fruit! So there's like a schtick, or a theme, or a sch..eme--you know.

But I didn't want one of these things to not be like the other. If the beetroot and pumpkin are going to be puree-based and pasty, then the tree fruit pie should be pureed too.

But I don't want the apple (or pear) pie filling in this set to get cut into and come out a sauce. I want it to cut clean and still keep its flavor.

How do I do that? Poach them first? Boil them? Cornstarch? Only get the pulp from a juicer? Cream cheese and applesauce (one of the pumpkin pie recipes I found uses cream cheese instead of whipping cream to bind the filling)? Take applesauce and boil it until the volume is reduced? How?

We always used to grate the cooking apples for pies and crumbles. Cooking time needs to be reduced accordingly, but the grated apple does not come out in puree form and does not come out as chunks (obviously). Could it be worth you trying that?

Thanks!

I'm also looking into Tarte Tatin, which I just discovered now... It might not be as neat beside the pumpkin and beet pies, what with being an upside-down cake, but it just may be a step closer, hopefully. (For some reason the apple looks more caramelized in the Wikipedia page than on the BCC GoodFood site webpages that have the actual recipes.)

Back
Top Bottom