Nonstick Cookware? Fact or Fiction? Just the facts!

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
3:22 PM
Nervous About Nonstick Cookware?

Easy to clean and incredibly popular, this cookware is still considered potentially toxic by some experts. Good Housekeeping settles the debate — and tells you how to use it safely.

landscape-1427908261-vibe-press.jpg
Chef'n Vibe Garlic Press Review

54ffe2d2b7fdc-0314-colander-cuisinart-s2.jpg
The Best Colanders for Your Pasta

54fea90561bc3-ghk-circulon-symmetry-12-inch-open-skillet-2-pack-s2.jpg
Our Favorite Induction-Safe Skillets

[iframe name="google_ads_iframe_/36117602/hdm-goodhousekeeping/cooking-tools/cookware-reviews/article/d-v-1_0" width="300" height="600" id="google_ads_iframe_/36117602/hdm-goodhousekeeping/cooking-tools/cookware-reviews/article/d-v-1_0" src="javascript:"[/iframe]
54fe974209513-nonstick-skillet-fb.jpg

Lara Robby/Studio D

How much do women love nonstick? The sales figures tell the story: In 2006, pots and pans with this special coating (Teflon is the best-known version) constituted 90 percent of all aluminum cookware sold, according to industry numbers. Yet despite nonstick's advantages (its surface makes cleanup easy and also allows cooks to use less oil and butter), it has come under fire in recent years over concerns about toxic chemical emissions. Dozens of reports and studies — from both industry and outside sources — have turned up conflicting conclusions. So we talked to numerous experts, looked at the major studies — and also conducted our own lab tests at the Good Housekeeping Research Institute — to find out: Just how safe are nonstick pots and pans?

55008b9eb3a5a-n-signature-porcelain-nonstick-6-qt-stockpot-dutch-oven-mdn.jpg
We Recommend
Paula Deen Signature Porcelain Nonstick 6 Qt. Stockpot Review

The answer is a qualified one. They're safe, says Robert L. Wolke, Ph.D., a professor emeritus of chemistry at the University of Pittsburgh and the author of What Einstein Told His Cook: Kitchen Science Explained, as long as they're not overheated. When they are, the coating may begin to break down (at the molecular level, so you wouldn't necessarily see it), and toxic particles and gases, some of them carcinogenic, can be released.

"There's a whole chemistry set of compounds that will come off when Teflon is heated high enough to decompose," says Wolke. "Many of these are fluorine-containing compounds, which as a class are generally toxic." But fluoropolymers, the chemicals from which these toxic compounds come, are a big part of the coating formula — and the very reason that foods don't stick to nonstick.

If the danger begins when pans overheat, then how hot is too hot? "At temperatures above 500ºF, the breakdown begins and smaller chemical fragments are released," explains Kurunthachalam Kannan, Ph.D., an environmental toxicologist at the New York State Department of Health's Wadsworth Center. DuPont, inventor and manufacturer of Teflon, agrees that 500 degrees is the recommended maximum for cooking.

Sticking Point
How fast will a nonstick pan reach 500°F, the point at which its coating can start to decompose? The Good Housekeeping Research Institute put three pieces of nonstick cookware to the test: a cheap, lightweight pan (weighing just 1 lb., 3 oz.); a midweight pan (2 lbs., 1 oz.); and a high-end, heavier pan (2 lbs., 9 oz.). We cooked five dishes at different temperatures on a burner that's typical in most homes. The results: Even we were surprised by how quickly some of the pans got way too hot. Check out the test details on the next page.

SAFE RISKY
Scrambled eggs 218° F

Cooked on medium for 3 minutes in a lightweight pan

Empty pan, preheated 507° F

Heated on high for 1 3/4 minutes in a lightweight pan

Chicken-and-pepper stir-fry 318° F

Cooked on high for 5 1/4 minutes in a lightweight pan

Pan preheated with 2 Tbsp. oil 514° F

Heated on high for 2 1/2 minutes in a lightweight pan

Bacon 465° F

Cooked on high for 5 1/2 minutes in a medium-weight pan

Hamburgers 577° F

Cooked on high for 8 1/2 minutes in a heavyweight pan

Steak 656° F

Cooked on high for 10 minutes in a lightweight pan

At very high temperatures — 660° F and above — pans may more significantly decompose, emitting fumes strong enough to cause polymer-fume fever, a temporary flu-like condition marked by chills, headache, and fever. (The fumes won't kill you — but they can kill pet birds, whose respiratory systems are more fragile.) At 680° F, Teflon releases at least six toxic gases, including two carcinogens, according to a study by the Environmental Working Group, a nonprofit watchdog organization. "However, even if those gases are formed, the odds that you're going to breathe enough of them to be sick are low," says Wolke, a point corroborated by several of the experts we interviewed. What no one has yet researched is whether overheating these pans regularly for a prolonged period might have long-term effects.

Outdated Fears
If cookware is flaking, you might accidentally swallow a chip — but don't be concerned, says Paul Honigfort, Ph.D., a consumer safety officer with the Food and Drug Administration. "A small particle would most likely just pass through the body, without being absorbed and without having any ill effect on the person's health," he says.

Also of less concern than previously believed: the danger of nonstick pans exposing the family to PFOA (perfluorooctanoic acid). A chemical used to manufacture the fluoropolymers that make up nonstick cookware's coating, PFOA is associated with tumors and developmental problems in animals, and experts are concerned about its possible effects on humans. In 2004, DuPont agreed to pay up to $343 million to settle a lawsuit alleging that PFOA, used in the manufacture of Teflon at a certain plant, had contaminated drinking water nearby. This year, a study at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health found an association between PFOA exposure and small decreases in head circumference and body weight in infants (except those born by cesarean section). Last year, an independent review panel advised the EPA to classify PFOA a "likely " human carcinogen. The EPA has not yet adopted the recommendation, which is disputed by DuPont. In the meantime, the EPA has reached an agreement with eight companies, including DuPont, to phase out the use of PFOA completely by 2015.

But while PFOA is still a concern, it's unlikely that we get most of our exposure from the use of nonstick pans. Sources of PFOA are everywhere: in microwave-popcorn bags, fast-food packaging, shampoo, carpeting, and clothing. Studies show that most of us have PFOA in our bloodstreams, and babies show trace amounts at birth. The FDA has tested nonstick pans to evaluate the danger of PFOA exposure to humans. "What we found was that the manufacturing process used to make those pans drives off the PFOA," says Honigfort, meaning that the chemical evaporates. "The risk to consumers is considered negligible."

Cook-Smart Precautions
You can use nonstick safely, as long as you use it properly. Any food that cooks quickly on low or medium heat and coats most of the pan's surface (which brings down the pan's temperature) is unlikely to cause problems; that includes foods like scrambled eggs, pancakes, or warmed-up leftovers. And many other kinds of cooking are safe as well: In GHRI's tests, the only food prep that yielded a nonstick pan temperature exceeding 600ºF in less than 10 minutes was steak in a lightweight pan. But to be cautious, keep these tips in mind.

1. Never preheat an empty pan. In GHRI's tests, each of the three empty nonstick pans we heated on high reached temperatures above 500 degrees in less than five minutes — and the cheapest, most lightweight pan got there in under two minutes. Even pans with oil in them can be problematic; our cheapest pan zoomed to more than 500 degrees in two and a half minutes.

2. Don't cook on high heat. Most nonstick manufacturers, including DuPont, now advise consumers not to go above medium. (DuPont maintains, however, that Teflon does not pose any health risks, and that its guideline is simply meant to maximize the life of the product.)

Do people still cook on high, despite manufacturers' instructions? "There's no statistical answer to that question," says the FDA's Honigfort. But you know if you're doing it, and if you are, the consensus is clear: It would be safer if you stopped. (Since some people won't switch to medium, or will overheat accidentally if distracted, says Jane Houlihan, vice president for research at the Environmental Working Group, "we recommend that people simply phase out the use of nonstick pans.") To play it safe, set your knob to medium or low and don't place your nonstick cookware over so-called power burners (anything above 12,000 BTUs on a gas stove or 2,400 watts on an electric range); those burners, seen more often in recent years, are intended for tasks like boiling a large pot of water quickly.

3. Ventilate your kitchen. When cooking, turn on the exhaust fan to help clear away any fumes.

4. Don't broil or sear meats. Those techniques require temperatures above what nonstick can usually handle.

5. Choose a heavier nonstick pan. Lightweight pans generally heat up fastest, so invest in heavier-weight cookware — it's worth the extra money.

6. Avoid chipping or damaging the pan. We've all been told not to use metal utensils on nonstick pans. Newer products may be harder to chip, "because the adhesion between the pan and the nonstick coating is better," says Honigfort. Still, if pans do chip or flake, they may be more likely to release toxic compounds, says Kannan of the New York State Department of Health. To prevent scratching, use wooden spoons to stir food, avoid steel wool, and don't stack these pans. (If you do, put a paper towel liner between them.)

How long can you expect your nonstick cookware to last? DuPont's estimate, based on moderate usage, is three to five years. Some experts, like Kannan, advise replacing your nonstick cookware every couple of years. What should you do if the pan does become damaged? A clear answer, from Kannan: Throw it out. :wink: :stop:

Last edited:
Thanks for all of this wonderful information. I have always been a little concerned about the health risks associated with using non stick, but it has not stopped me from using them because they are very handy and easy to use. I just try not to use my non stick pan all of the time. My mom used non stick when we were kids and we turned out ok.

I one bought a cheap pasta pot set.. The so-called nonstick coating, which was supposed to be durable, had started to peel away! The pots were paper thin anyway. I ended up having to toss it out! :mad: :stop:

Thanks for all the great information. I purchased a set of un coated pans thinking it would be better for our health and I hated them. I replaced them with non-stick pans. The un coated pans stick even with cooking spray and do not heat evenly. And they were not cheap.

Thanks for all the great information. I purchased a set of un coated pans thinking it would be better for our health and I hated them. I replaced them with non-stick pans. The un coated pans stick even with cooking spray and do not heat evenly. And they were not cheap.

With uncoated cookware, I learned that you have to cook the food over medium to low heat. Having the burner too high can cause the food to stick very easily, scorch & burn! So I just use the cookware over medium to low heat. To me, it is better. I only turn the heat up high if I'm boiling water for pasta, eggs or potatoes. Then I adjust the heat accordingly. :wink:

I've never been too concerned with the apparent dangers of non-stick cookware. As long as you follow the guidelines, there's little cause for concern.

You can't beat a good non-stick pan for frying eggs with - I've never managed to do it successfully using uncoated cookware.

Good work, I am impressed and thank you for sharing this great information with us.
I also agree with using heavy non stick cookware. It is not worth it to go for the cheap made in China stuff. Spend the extra dollar, and make sure that is a good brand. The way you treat your pans is the way they are going to treat you back. Also read the instructions provided and read Shermis advice. 10 out of 10, well done mate!

Good info BUT I notice a lack of facts as is usual when anything is offered by 'experts' and alternative comparisons.
For example just how carcinogenic - level with some of the foods I might cook in it ? Toxic fumes - how 'toxic' - similar to walking down the side of a busy road perhaps ? I suspect the number of people killed or even even admitted to hospital in a year due to their cookware [if we ignore accidents like dropping and burning/scalding] is way lower than the number affected by eating wild 'mushrooms' they have picked by mistake. I for one will continue to use our non stick pans - there are far too many much much more dangerous thing going on in the world to worry even a tiny bit about them. In fact I suspect worrying about it will probably do you more harm than the coating.
Beware the white coats

Actually my grandmother and mother who taught me the art of cooking never used non stick pans in their cooking. And I grew up seeing them not using this kind of cooking pans. It is only when I got married and migrated in another country where all households used non stick pans that I adapted using this kind of pans. However lately I had read some facts already same as this information with regards to the non safety of using this kind of cooking pans. But anyway thanks for sharing this additional information of learning about this thing.

This article holds a knowledge of great information. Some of it I already knew but a lot of it was new to me information.
I must admit that I do have some concerns with using non stick pans but I do use them. The moment they start to chip
away though I throw them away and get new ones. I have bought cheap ones and expensive ones and some of them
still chip. I do love my cast iron though! It is my favorite!

We were planning to buy a non-stick pan made of ceramic which costs more than double of the teflon type. However, we still have no feedback on it from our friends and relatives and we do not want to be the guinea pig for that. Since our old non-stick pan is chipping off in some parts of the surface, we bought a new one. The non-stick pan is vital to our special dish called adobo because when frying the pork in that dish, the skin tends to stick so the non-stick is the best to use for that dish.

Sometimes I just think I should go cave man/ cave woman style and cook on some wood and stone and call it a day. When I see all this information, sometimes it makes me nervous.

Back
Top Bottom