Not so nice cheese...

Arch

Guru
Local time
3:59 PM
Farmer's Market in Eccles today, and NT and I were browsing for some lunch for tomorrow. One stall had lots of different cheeses - mostly Lancashire with X in - pineapples, cranberries, onion etc. All very yummy, and little taster cubes to help you choose.

One was labelled "Cheese for the Brave" and NT asked what was 'brave' about it.

The seller replied "It tastes like licking a farmyard! I can't stand it myself!" Well, that's honest!

She was right too, it did. (Although that initial taste disappeared to leave a flavour that was merely very mature. I could sort of see that some people might enjoy it, but...

What's the oddest flavour you've tried?

I'm a little confused about a couple of things there.

Firstly, exactly how does she know what licking a farmyard tastes like?:scratchhead:

And secondly, after being told that, you still tried it?:eek:

Brave soul.

Firstly, exactly how does she know what licking a farmyard tastes like?:scratchhead:

Brave soul.

Yeah, I see what you mean, and she did say "I've never done it but I imagine that's what it tastes like" and she was spot on. A flavour that conjured up an aroma of manure.

NT had already backed out of tasting it, so I felt I should step up!

There is a nasty smelling cheese I have bought in the past , stinking bishop from Gloucestershire,but it does make every thing smell , I buy lo al cheese where possible, and have a nice chilli and nettle from Loosehanger cheeses in the new Forrest , also do hard goats cheese and some sublime soft blues

Brave soul.

It's like the phrase about some goats cheeses it tastes how a billy goat smells

It's like the phrase about some goats cheeses it tastes how a billy goat smells

Yes, exactly!

NT sniffed a piece and said "It smells horrible!" and the woman said "It tastes how it smells!"

You've got to hand it to her for honesty. I wonder how many they sell. Mind you, the other stuff was lovely, 3 wedges for a fiver, so we got a selection to go with the pork pie NT had just bought...

A lot of farm cheeses that are to strong taste of the farm yard , if they are to strong they do tend to be a bit cowy and I use them for rarebits or general cooking

I remember from our holidays in Denmark as a kid, the Havarti we used to get. We nick named it "sweety socks". smelt like them and tasted as we imagined it they would taste. the only way to get rid of the smell from the car, was a rather indirect route - replace the car!

There's a scandinavian thing called Gamel Ost too, which translates as 'old cheese'. It's a wierd caramel colour and texture. I've had a little, it's an acquired taste. Mind so, so was the dried fish my friend brought back from Norway, I quite liked that...

There's a scandinavian thing called Gamel Ost too, which translates as 'old cheese'. It's a wierd caramel colour and texture. I've had a little, it's an acquired taste. Mind so, so was the dried fish my friend brought back from Norway, I quite liked that...

I love that cheese. Don't know what has been done to it, but for some reason I am not allergic to it, only intolerant and it was one of the things I loved about my visits to Norway.

Stock fish on the other hand just stinks and looks viscious.... Photo from Moskenes in the Lofoten Islands, somewhere we cycled through on our aborted RTW.
IMG_1846_800.JPG

You wouldn't believe (or perhaps you would), the number of words written in archaeological journals on the methods of determining whether fish bones found at sites are the remains of fresh or dried fish....

(Dried fish being a widely traded product, identifying it makes links between places).

Once I brought to to the UK the smelliest and yummiest cheese ever from Germany. It was so smelly that it permeated my Grandfather's cellar, where I'd left it overnight in a suitcase, wrapped in plastic bags.
The car I got picked up in Glasgow smelled of cheese for days: we eat the lot fast :hungry: it was a cheese overdose!

My Mum tells a story of when she and my Dad were first courting and went to London for the day on the train. They went to Fortnums, like provincials do, and treated themselves to a piece of good Stilton, and explained to the chap behind the counter that they needed to carry it home on the train. He wrapped in in multiple layers of greaseproof and brown paper, tied up with string, and handed it over with the words "I trust I have rendered it innocuous."

There is an Italian cheese, which I believe is illegal here in the US, which is actually made with maggots. They let the maggots climb through the cheese and do their thing. It has something to do with the aging process. I will guarantee you that no matter how much I like cheese, I will *not* ever be trying that crap.

Back
Top Bottom