Not too many actually know their fruit and veg!

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
11:34 AM
Cherries.png

Who know's what the above is then?​
_ _ _ _ _ _ Red

Last edited:
well from the colourings you have
  • E601a which is Alfa-, Beta- and Gamma- Carotene and can be derived from carrots and is yellow to orange
  • E161b is Lutein and is a yellow colour
  • E161c is Cryptoxanthin and is a yellow colour
  • E300 is L- Ascorbic acid and is an anti-oxidant, vitamin C
  • E307 is alfa- Tocopherol which is part of Vitamin E
  • Choline (don't know what colour!)
  • Phytosterols which is yellow to orange
(this is just pulled from information posted on previous comps)
So I am guessing it is something that is yellow or orange in colour.

I tempted to say lemon, but don't know why.

Hummm....
I had a look at the cinnamic acid which I suspected was something to do with a cinnamon flavour and was correct... (Cinnamic acid is not in directly but cinnamic alcohol is not the common name for that one, it is probably cinnamyl alcohol).

It is obtained from oil of cinnamon, or from balsams such as storax.[4] It is also found in shea butter. Cinnamic acid has a honey-like odor;[5] it and its more volatile ethyl ester (ethyl cinnamate) are flavor components in the essential oil of cinnamon, in which related cinnamaldehyde is the major constituent. Cinnamic acid is also part of the biosynthetic shikimate and phenylpropanoid pathways. Its biosynthesis is performed by action of the enzyme phenylalanine ammonia-lyase (PAL) on phenylalanine.

Cinnamaldehyde does come up and is basically the same.

Cinnamaldehyde is the organic compound that gives cinnamon its flavor and odor.[1] This pale yellow, viscous liquid occurs naturally in the bark of cinnamon trees and other species of the genus Cinnamomum. The essential oil of cinnamon bark is about 90% cinnamaldehyde

Then I had a peep at Eugenol...
It is a colorless to pale yellow oily liquid extracted from certain essential oils especially from clove oil, nutmeg, cinnamon, basil and bay leaf.[1][2][3][4] It is present in concentrations of 80–90% in clove bud oil and at 82–88% in clove leaf oil.[5]

So we have a potentially yellow/orange fruit or vegetable that you could eat that has cinnamon, clove oil, nutmeg, basil or bay leaf taste or smell. Any or all... with a Vitamin C content and a good selection of the essential amino acids. high in water, but also quite sweet.

I was thinking grapefruit now, but I'm not sure because I confused the issue by looking up hexanal as a flavour...
Hexanal, or hexanaldehyde, is an alkyl aldehyde used in the flavor industry to produce fruity flavors.[2] Its scent resembles freshly cut grass.

I'm now very confused :scratchhead:. I looked at the spoiler and can't make any words fit before the 'end word'. Now if the 'end word' came first, I could think of a few answers.

Back
Top Bottom