Nourish bowls, power bowls etc. What do you think of the concept?

' scuse my total ignorance, but I've got no idea what a "nourish bowl" is, or why it has that unusual name.
I was pretty sure it was just a balanced bowl of nourishing food types, and I googled it and this is what I saw:
How to Make a Nourish Bowl in 5 Steps

I have made what I called a "power bowl" before that had greens (kale), red cabbage, quinoa, roasted brussels sprouts, carrots, tomatoes, cranberries and grilled chicken (though for vegetarians another type of protein could be easily substituted and also quinoa and avocado are high in protein). Similar concept.

Recipe - Kale quinoa power bowl
1687453326560.png

' scuse my total ignorance, but I've got no idea what a "nourish bowl" is, or why it has that unusual name.

Its a load of hype methinks!

Nourish bowls are essentially a meal in a bowl. They contain the components you might see separately on a traditional meal plate - but in a bowl instead! Hearty and healthy, nourish bowls are like salads on steroids.

Often, a nourish bowl can go by other names, such as:

• Macro bowls
• Nutrition bowls
• Buddha bowls
How to Make a Nourish Bowl in 5 Steps

OK - so what makes it a "Power Bowl" over a normal plateful of meat & two veg??
Well I suppose it's because of the power nutrients in it. Kale and all of the other things are nutrient laden but to different levels per ingredient. A meat and two veggies aren't going to give you a wide spectrum of nutrients. My "power bowl" had a mix of proteins, different colored veggies (which have different amounts of specific nutrients as I am sure you well know), carbs, fats, etc. I'd say my power bowl was much more nutrient dense than just a plate of meat and 2 vegetables. Additionally, mine had grains (quinoa) in it.

I wasn't trying to market anything, LOL. I just made a great and well-balanced salad and shared the recipe.
No,no,no,no - I worked in Kraft, so I know a bit about marketing! No criticism intended. I just thought that by presenting a dish as something super-spectacular, with key words like "Power", someone, somewhere is trying to make us believe it's extra special.
Quinoa has about 8 gms of protein per cup. A steak has about 25 gms; same goes for cheese. Kale has less than 3 gms.
I think it's just "hype" to sell the stuff, Since KALE is the new superfood (with which, I disagree) and quinoa was the former superfood, I imagine that's where the name came from.

No,no,no,no - I worked in Kraft, so I know a bit about marketing! No criticism intended. I just thought that by presenting a dish as something super-spectacular, with key words like "Power", someone, somewhere is trying to make us believe it's extra special.
Quinoa has about 8 gms of protein per cup. A steak has about 25 gms; same goes for cheese. Kale has less than 3 gms.
I think it's just "hype" to sell the stuff, Since KALE is the new superfood (with which, I disagree) and quinoa was the former superfood, I imagine that's where the name came from.
I understand what you're saying, but a lot of what I'm seeing about power bowls and nourish bowls are ideas online for people to make "super" salads at home. I was really thinking more along the line of the vitamin content for kale and numerous salad vegetables. To me, a large variety of nutrients is superior than 2 side veggies with meat.

I thought you were vegetarian mostly?

Yeah, but would you rather eat a salad or a SUPER POWER FOOD PLATE BOWL!!! 💪

How about a bowl of Texas chili. I can call it a red meat power bowl. 🤠 Beef for protein, diced onions for veggies, cornbread on the bottom for carbs, and crumbled cheese on top for dairy.

CD

How about a bowl of Texas chili. I can call it a red meat power bowl. 🤠
You’ve got to know your market. Tell one of your boot-scootin’ friends there that you’re making him a “red meat power bowl,” he’ll say, “Nah…I’ll just have the chili, thanks.” :wink:

Yes, I am, but I eat fish (usually when I'm out), sausages, charcuterie (salami, prosciutto, etc) and minced meat
I could see a power poke bowl being quite tasty. Some (seared rare) peppercorn and sesame encrusted tuna atop a pile of veges and a smidgen of sushi rice with a soy-based dressing might be nice.

Back
Top Bottom