Now foods: Salmon berries

Lostvalleyguy

Veteran
Local time
10:59 AM
This is a followup to a soon to be foods post. The first harvest from nature is ripe and those who didn't know the berries can take a look.

While the berries are sweet, they don't have a lot of flavour. They have a good variety of colour and will make a great addition to a salad. I think some are going to be added to a batch of muffins as well.

So here from flower to fruit are salmon berries.

salmon.jpg
Salmonberry.jpg
007.JPG

Pretty! They look like raspberries. (Unless that's a bowl, not a cup, in the third photo, and so they're really more like sugar apples or something.)

I have not seen those before but they look delightful! What part of the country or a country do you reside in? I'm curious if I can locate those in Connecticut.

The container is a 1 cup plastic container. The berries are a little larger than a typical raspberry but they are of the same family of plant. These were picked in Vancouver B.C. but the plants would likely exist in Washington and Oregon as they thrive in that type of climate. As today was a day off, I tossed them in to a batch of muffins for breakfast:

001.JPG

They look very good. Thank you for sharing them with us. How did the muffins turn out? Were they sweet or more tart?

Back
Top Bottom