Nutmeg and its toxic effects

Elawin

Guru
Local time
11:29 PM
Mod Edit: Posts moved from another thread to start new topic.

It really does look good. Are you allergic to nutmeg @Elawin? You can substitute allspice perhaps...

I'm not allergic to it. I absolutely love it, but I often used to overdo it on rice pudding and it is an hallucinogenic. It is also fatally toxic to cats and dogs. I sometimes use cinnamon instead, and, to be on the safe side, I keep all my herbs and spices in a drawer out of harms way.

http://www.compoundchem.com/2014/03/24/the-hallucinogen-in-your-kitchen-the-chemistry-of-nutmeg/
http://pets.thenest.com/cats-nutmeg-3818.html
http://canigivemydog.com/nutmeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not allergic to it. I absolutely love it, but I often used to overdo it on rice pudding and it is an hallucinogenic. It is also fatally toxic to cats and dogs. I sometimes use cinnamon instead, and, to be on the safe side, I keep all my herbs and spices in a drawer out of harms way.

http://www.compoundchem.com/2014/03/24/the-hallucinogen-in-your-kitchen-the-chemistry-of-nutmeg/
http://pets.thenest.com/cats-nutmeg-3818.html
http://canigivemydog.com/nutmeg

I have heard about the hallucinogenic properties but to be honest, unless you use shed-loads then I think its fine. Think of custard tarts as we used to buy from the bakers. Did you ever get stoned after eating one of those? :D

I have heard about the hallucinogenic properties but to be honest, unless you use shed-loads then I think its fine. Think of custard tarts as we used to buy from the bakers. Did you ever get stoned after eating one of those? :D
Couldn't stand them and never ate them! But hallucinations is the least of people's worries. There are all sorts of side effects including nausea, dry mouth, dizziness irregular heartbeat, agitation and miscarriages. You have to take a huge quantity to kill yourself, but apparently it can be cumulative. I used to have rice pudding practically every day and used to put nearly a teaspoonful on one servings-worth of pudding. I was probably as high as a kite after a couple of weeks. But its my pets I worry about more than me. A lot, lot less can cause irreparable damage to a dog or a cat, and all pet-owners know how they can help themselves. Apparently its' the smell of nutmeg that attracts cats and dogs, and no doubt other animals.

Couldn't stand them and never ate them! But hallucinations is the least of people's worries. There are all sorts of side effects including nausea, dry mouth, dizziness irregular heartbeat, agitation and miscarriages. You have to take a huge quantity to kill yourself, but apparently it can be cumulative. I used to have rice pudding practically every day and used to put nearly a teaspoonful on one servings-worth of pudding. I was probably as high as a kite after a couple of weeks. But its my pets I worry about more than me. A lot, lot less can cause irreparable damage to a dog or a cat, and all pet-owners know how they can help themselves. Apparently its' the smell of nutmeg that attracts cats and dogs, and no doubt other animals.

Well I think I might get onto the nutmeg tomorrow! I could do with a good trip or two. :giggle::hyper: I'm not worried about my dog. The spices are well away from him in a cupboard and/or spice rack. I haven't noticed that he is attracted to the smell. I will test him out tomorrow. Its alright - I won't let him eat any. I'll just grate some and see if he responds. :happy:

According to one report I read, the toxic dose of nutmeg is two to three teaspoons. This is really not an enormous amount - although I don't think I have ever added that much to a dish (and that would need to be multiplied by the number eating the dish). However I do use mace in curry mixes. I'm assuming that is also toxic. I would maybe use two whole pieces of mace in a curry for 4 people. I can't seem to find much info about quantities of mace but I'm assuming the same as nutmeg.

I just read that article. I don't know of anyone that would eat straight nutmeg. That is way more than a normal use. 1/2 tsp of good nutmeg goes a long ways.
And wherever you read it has a cumulative effect does not know the properties of hallucination drugs.
That is impossible. It isn't stoned either. Big difference.
Trust me, you would know if you were hallucinating.
Ok now back to our regularly scheduled topics.

Those crazy Dutch.

It even played a role in the transfer of Manhattan from the Dutch to the English.

One reason it became so popular is because it is so portable. Its easy to put a small nutmeg grater and a nutmeg in your pocket. Gentlemen (not sure what era) used to take their own nutmeg to grate into punch. I heard this today on a TV show...

1 teaspoon, with 5 hours for the the effects to start to be felt(with after-effects continuing for up to 72 hours)
+ A long lasting stoned feeling
+ A Legal substance
+ A new experience (Possibly)

- Very unpleasant dry-mouth (Can take a good day before it's able to moisten itself again)
- Redness of the eyes (It looks like they are high on something)
- Nutmeg burps (!!)
- A feeling of extreme tiredness (Dream-like state where nothing really feels real, and a extreme urge just to sleep for the user)
- Lessened motor skills
- Liver Damage (If overdosed, which is easier than you might think)

The negatives outnumber the positives

1 teaspoon, with 5 hours for the the effects to start to be felt(with after-effects continuing for up to 72 hours)
+ A long lasting stoned feeling
+ A Legal substance
+ A new experience (Possibly)

- Very unpleasant dry-mouth (Can take a good day before it's able to moisten itself again)
- Redness of the eyes (It looks like they are high on something)
- Nutmeg burps (!!)
- A feeling of extreme tiredness (Dream-like state where nothing really feels real, and a extreme urge just to sleep for the user)
- Lessened motor skills
- Liver Damage (If overdosed, which is easier than you might think)

The negatives outnumber the positives
I can see all those things happening if you ate it straight. It is the stoned effect I have issues with.
Which by the way can happen if you eat an entire bottle of poppy seeds.

Back
Top Bottom