Nutmeg

I use it in cheese sauces a lot, or anything creamed, like when I make creamed spinach for MrsT.

A little pinch goes in my fondue, and on top of egg nog, of course. I'll occasionally grate a little over a fancy hot drink, like boozy hot chocolate with whipped cream on top.

It's good in cream-based soups.

The only thing I've ever used mace for is meat pies.

Warning: It can be toxic if you use too much at once. See here: High on Nutmeg: The Effects of Too Much and the Dangers
According to the above link, toxicity can occur if a dose is as low as 10g (2 tsp).

Morning Glory,

This reminds me of a time before the Iraqi Gulf War, when I was approached by a couple men from Iraq who talked about buying in bulk, Peach and Apricot Pits. I talked to a guy in my company's marketing department and all of a sudden I had everyone, up to the President and VP of the company up in arms. Peach and Apricot pits are used to extract a deadly poison, Hydrogen Cyanide and these characters from Iraq will looking to source the pits for the efforts to kill off Kurds and other Iraqi tribes who were not buying Sadam Hussein's program of dominating the Middle East.

flyinglentris, I am also surprised by your large purchase. I was thinking about my own nutmeg quantity and can't even remember the last time I bought it. I use it in pies, a few savory dishes and potpourri. A little goes a long way.

Back
Top Bottom