Okra - love it or hate it.

ElizabethB

Guru
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
1:52 PM
Another vegetable Dad always had in the garden.
Fried - :love:
Pickled - :okay:
Boiled, smothered or sauteed - :yuck:
I do not like food that produces snot.

That brings up shrimp and okra gumbo. Just :okay:. An issue of texture.

Now I have found a method of cooking okra that I find very flavorful with an appealing texture.
Small, young okra - 3" to 4"
Cut in half length wise.
Toss with EVOO, sea salt and cracked black pepper.
Add just enough EVOO to a cast iron or other heavy skillet to lightly film the surface. Heat. Hot. Add okra. Toss and shake, toss and shake, toss and shake until you have some char on the okra. Enjoy. No snot.

Just boiled or stewed, not for me. I use it gumbo, but add it before you are supposed to to get rid of the okra snot.

Now breaded and fried okra -- I'm all over that, especially next to some chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes, all smothered in white gravy.

CD

My only experience with okra is Campbell's Chicken Gumbo condensed soup. That has okra in it, and I'd eat that as a kid, specifically for the okra - something we never grew when I was a kid.

I know you muricans love your okra, I see it all the time on murican sites. The look of it doesn't inspire me to,try it, but I have a good recipe for cooking it Indian style, I really need to experiment with it. The recipe was a tempura type and fried, it looked nice!!

Russ

Back
Top Bottom