Old fashioned cookbooks vs online versions?

I remember recipe cards as well. My mother use to have a subscription to one service as did one of my sisters. I guess such a program no longer exsit. Which I think is kind of sad when I stop to think about it.
Yes, I know that many recipes are now online, but is there practicality in this? Think about this for a moment, when we find a recipe we like online what do we have to do? Yes, either copy it down or print the page up so that we can use it in the future. A recipe card made it convenient to take the recipe and use it while cooking, the same with a cook book.

I don't know if they have stopped making recipe cards or not. I still get things in the mail about getting recipe cards with a subscription, but I haven't gotten any lately. I like getting recipes online, but I like the.convenience of a written recipe I can hold onto better.

When I was child my mother used to collect recipes in an accordion-like archive system, most of them coming from newspaper and magazine cuts.

So that when I grew up, I adopted this idea encouraged by my childhood days memories and the fact of a magazine publishing recipe cards and giving away a collecting box, I started my own recipe archive.

Today, over 20 years later, I still have 2 of those recipe boxes, however the recipe cards are somewhere in the house among a pile of magazines because I'm actually 100% digital files addicted.

Even though I was just a kid, I was the main cook in the family. I used to keep a recipe card box. I used to tear recipes out of magazines and the newspaper. I still collect recipes, but now I keep them on my laptop.

No, these days I just print out recipes from the internet. However, I remember collecting recipe cards as a kid with my mom from the grocery store. :) They used to display free recipe cards next to different products. E.g Next to the potatos would be recipe cards on how to make different potato based dishes.

I still have my clippings and recipe cards even though I have some on my computer. You can never have too many copies of a recipe.

I use both. I like the physical book because it has a lot of my favorite recipes. I use the internet whenever I want to find a new recipe or alternative recipes for a special diet. Both are good sources in my opinion.

Does anyone still use cookbooks? I'm a vegetarian and I base some of my cooking from a book called The Higher Taste - "A Guide to Gourmet Vegetarian Cooking and a Karma-Free Diet." It's pretty much the only recipe book that I own and it has about 50 recipes; my parents bought it many years ago, before the internet became a source for everything. Now I just go online and look for recipes. Do any of you buy or even own a cookbook?

I used both old fashioned cookbooks and online cookbooks. When I was in high school I remembered when I started to love cooking I always watched my mother in the kitchen while cooking and always read her old cooking books and wrote some recipes in my notebook. Now that I am married already I borrowed some of her books for my reference. And from the old fashioned and online cookbooks I always innovate recipes from both of them and they are very useful to me in all my recipes

Back
Top Bottom