Recipe Old Fashioned Leek and Potato Soup

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
2:57 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Some of the simplest recipes are time and time again the best and this is one of my favourite, leek and potato soup. We don't tend to peel the potatoes, that's our preference. Similarly I don't tend to worry about only using the white part of leeks, again our preference.

Old Fashioned Leek and Potato Soup (serves 4)

Ingredients
4 large leeks, finely sliced
3 large floury potatoes, (peeled and) cubed
Roughly 1litre of stock
A handful of chives, chopped
1oz of butter or 2 tbsp oil

Method
  1. Heat the oil or butter in a large pan and add the leeks over a gentle heat for around 15 minutes
  2. Add the cubed potatoes and the stock (veg, beef, chicken it's your choice) and bring to the boil. Cook for around 10 minutes until the potatoes are very soft.
  3. Cool slightly, then liquidise/blend either all of some of the soup depending on your preference. Mine is to liquidise all of it till it is smooth.
  4. Season as needed and add either stock/milk/cream to suit taste and desired thickness
  5. Reheat gently, add the chives and serve with chunky, dipping bread.
Done. Lots of choice, vegan, vegetarian or otherwise. Other additions just before serving can include a handful of grated cheddar cheese.

I make a dish similair to this, except ours is a potato and leek skillet. It has a lot of gruyere and parmeasan cheese mixed into it. Expensive dish, but delicious. I like to use the green parts of the leeks as well, but we do peel the potatos when we make this dish. Your soup would be great on a cold winter day. Thanks for sharing, I am going to try it.

East peasy recipes are my favorite. Although I like cooking, I don't like to spend the whole day in the kitchen. Lately I have been making a lot of homemade soups but never tried a potato/leek. I have tasted soup similar in a restaurant and really enjoyed it. I will definitely jot this one down and give it a try. I like the idea of the grated cheese on top. That is something I do quite often with many recipes.

I love the combination of potato and onion, and leeks are a very mild form of them. They are kind of expensive in the store, but they really do taste good and make wonderful foods. I was turned on to leeks a couple of years ago watching Food Network.

That looks really easy to prepare and is dirt cheap! I love potato and leek soup so I will be giving this a try tomorrow. I imagine this soup would freeze well too.

Mine is a very similar recipe, so similar it's not worth posting. However, I add a good teaspoon of grated strong cheddar cheese per portion and stir to desolve just before serving. I find it adds a little richness and bite, but you don't want too much or it just tastes like cheese sauce.

Back
Top Bottom