Old Or New?

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
6:51 PM
Whilst modern machines used in the kitchen seem to offer a bewildering array of options to the user, they seem to offer these over build quality. Older models seemed to have more build quality, meaning they lasted longer.

From food mixers to dishwashers, we appear to be willing to accept an array of features, that we'll probably never use, over the life of what we're actually buying.

Question is twofold, why & why are we willing to accept something that we know isn't as well made?

I guess people want to buy things that are shiny and new. They're not thinking ahead.

Personally I like going to resale shops and buying my stuff used.

I was that way before.

The apartment that I had before the one that I just got the other day, was so overcrowded & packed with stuff! There was no room for anything.
Can't & won't do that this time! I just want a few things appliance-wise, such as a microwave, hand and stand mixer, food processor & blender. Also, pots and pans. :wink:

Last edited:
I don't want my new apartment to ever get like the one that I had before. I just want a few simple things in the kitchen. :wink:

Like mobile phones computers and even cars gadgets are now sold on what they can do - NOT what you want or need them to do.
People are easily brainwashed into thinking they need all this stuff, 90% of which they never use [or often use once then forget about].

I will also point out that this "extra features" isn't confined to electrical items or machinery.

You have potato peelers that can also slice, pans that can be used on both gas and eletric! Or maybe not.

I will also point out that this "extra features" isn't confined to electrical items or machinery.

You have potato peelers that can also slice, pans that can be used on both gas and eletric! Or maybe not.
I recently replaced my stick blender and the model I chose (good reviews) has an attachment for mashing potatoes. That wasn't the reason I bought it and I was skeptical. But having tested it out, its brilliant! It doesn't 'blend' the potato but forces upwards through holes (difficult to describe), so its like an automated potato ricer.

Generally though I use very few gadgets. The stick blender, a spice grinder and occasionally a mini-chopper or electric hand mixer. That's about it. Its partly due to space. I'm sure if I had a huge kitchen I'd have more gadgets on the counters. But I don't even own a food processor.

Orange Microwave Oven..jpg
Getting this orange microwave oven for the kitchen in my new apartment! To match the orange countertops.
Click on the link below. It should arrive on Friday. I will take it over to the new place and set it up in the kitchen. :wink:

http://www.ginnys.com/Kitchen-and-D...and--9-cubic-foot-microwave.pro?omSource=SLI&

Last edited:
Got a new square dinnerware set & a new pot set for the new apartment, both in orange!! :wink:

I guess people want to buy things that are shiny and new. They're not thinking ahead.

Personally I like going to resale shops and buying my stuff used.

I plan to do that with furniture and other items. I'm on a fixed income, and can't afford to buy all new furniture just yet. :wink:

Certain items I prefer old. My beloved Kenwood Chefs (mixer,not processor for the rest of the world) the old ones are much better and last much longer and I mean the old ones with the white glass bowls... I have had 2: I sold one which I really regret now when we went off on our attempted world cycle tour, replaced it but then that one had an accident whilst unattended and jumped off the kitchen counter and died) I now have a more modern version which is OK but I can hear the gears slipping already and know it doesn't have many more years left in it.

But somethings are better new. Scales whilst I loved my really old fashioned ones that I put weights on and balanced out, I was very limited by the weights. The modern scales I can change the units much more easily and don't have issues with lifting the weights (since my back went) and also more obviously, it is easier to use any bowl whereas the balance scales are limited to their pan which was a specific weight...

What else? I wouldn't want to be without my high speed blender (Omniblend rather than a Vitamix but same concept).

But my hand-held whisk (egg whisk with double beater that you rotate the handle on) the older the better and we are talking half a century of more. You need the quality in the gears for a good one and modern ones are just cheap and tacky and slip badly. Pick up a decent old one and you know the difference instantly and they are much easier than getting the heavy mixer out when you just want to whisk a couple of eggs nothing more (or cream etc).

Certain items I prefer old. My beloved Kenwood Chefs (mixer,not processor for the rest of the world) the old ones are much better and last much longer and I mean the old ones with the white glass bowls... I have had 2: I sold one which I really regret now when we went off on our attempted world cycle tour, replaced it but then that one had an accident whilst unattended and jumped off the kitchen counter and died) I now have a more modern version which is OK but I can hear the gears slipping already and know it doesn't have many more years left in it.

But somethings are better new. Scales whilst I loved my really old fashioned ones that I put weights on and balanced out, I was very limited by the weights. The modern scales I can change the units much more easily and don't have issues with lifting the weights (since my back went) and also more obviously, it is easier to use any bowl whereas the balance scales are limited to their pan which was a specific weight...

What else? I wouldn't want to be without my high speed blender (Omniblend rather than a Vitamix but same concept).

But my hand-held whisk (egg whisk with double beater that you rotate the handle on) the older the better and we are talking half a century of more. You need the quality in the gears for a good one and modern ones are just cheap and tacky and slip badly. Pick up a decent old one and you know the difference instantly and they are much easier than getting the heavy mixer out when you just want to whisk a couple of eggs nothing more (or cream etc).

I HEARD that the Kenwood & the Breville stand mixers tend to walk while in use, especially when kneading dough. I dug out the Electrolux Assistant stand mixer from storage. I'm keeping it forever. The newer versions of the machine had skyrocketed to a whopping $800!!

It was only just under $500 when I first got it, and that was back in '06! It's ten years old now, and it still works fine, so I'm keeping it. :wink:

I only plan to get a few things, such as a food processor, a George Forman Grill & an electric pot. Oh, and a pressure cooker. That is it! I am not junking up THIS apartment at all! :wink:

I like to think good things last or can be mended for example my Rayburn at home 30 Years young and hand to change boiler and weld a part but it's Good as new
Kitchen aid mixers ,you can get mended cheap,if you over load them,the older ones have less bling but more robust

Back
Top Bottom