Recipe Omg scones

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
11:48 PM
I love scones, my late m.i.l used to make the best ones. I've tried prolly 10 or 15 times over the years and had fails. Big fails. My wife doesn't cook either so no show there. Then yesterday a friend sent me a link from a 92 yo woman from cwa in murica I think? 3 things, I thought I cant go wrong. These were the best fluffier scones I've ever had. Wife had two just out of the oven.
The secret the lady said was sifting 5 cups of flour three times, make a well in centre, pour in about 200ml cream, cut it in with a knife, then add lemonade to get a nice sticky mix. I added cheese grated, cheddar. Cut into squares, put into hot oven 220 c for 10 mins, I left it in an extra 2 mins.
Cut in half , liberal amount of butter, home made raspberry jam, squirt of cream. 10/10
I did a half mix because I was only trying it and didn't want to waste flour. There's only 5 left.

Russ

Forgot pic,

Russ

I love scones, my late m.i.l used to make the best ones. I've tried prolly 10 or 15 times over the years and had fails. Big fails. My wife doesn't cook either so no show there. Then yesterday a friend sent me a link from a 92 yo woman from cwa in murica I think? 3 things, I thought I cant go wrong. These were the best fluffier scones I've ever had. Wife had two just out of the oven.
The secret the lady said was sifting 5 cups of flour three times, make a well in centre, pour in about 200ml cream, cut it in with a knife, then add lemonade to get a nice sticky mix. I added cheese grated, cheddar. Cut into squares, put into hot oven 220 c for 10 mins, I left it in an extra 2 mins.
Cut in half , liberal amount of butter, home made raspberry jam, squirt of cream. 10/10
I did a half mix because I was only trying it and didn't want to waste flour. There's only 5 left.

Russ

This recipe is most unusual and not like any scone recipe I've ever come across. Cream and lemonade in the scone mix? I think that delicious as they look, these are not technically scones.

Is it the case there is no butter used, just cream? I can't imagine how that can work. Surely the mix of cream together with the lemonade would be sloppy.

Not traditional by any means, but I did a google search for scones lemonade cream and several recipes came up (including this one which has a video). They certainly seem to look like scones! Not sure I'll be trying it because I've never had a problem making scones the traditional way, but its certainly an interesting one.

Looking at the ingredients (self raising flour, lemonade and cream) I can see how this could work: the cream is a substitute for both the butter and the milk that are used in the traditional recipe. And the lemonade provides not only some of the liquid but also the sugar requirement, and I guess the carbonation also provides extra lift.

The main thing is that they taste good :okay:

Not traditional by any means, but I did a google search for scones lemonade cream and several recipes came up (including this one which has a video). They certainly seem to look like scones! Not sure I'll be trying it because I've never had a problem making scones the traditional way, but its certainly an interesting one.

Looking at the ingredients (self raising flour, lemonade and cream) I can see how this could work: the cream is a substitute for both the butter and the milk that are used in the traditional recipe. And the lemonade provides not only some of the liquid but also the sugar requirement, and I guess the carbonation also provides extra lift.

They really are good, all gone now. I will be making again. :)

Russ

Yep, they're called 7-Up scones here, after the pop/lemonade that goes in, like the 7-Up cake Shermie posted. There are a whole slew of soft drink-based cakes; cola cake, Dr. Pepper cake, Orange Crush cake, cream soda cake, root beer cake, etc.

Back
Top Bottom