On a scale of 1 to 10, how do you rate your cooking?

Local time
3:21 PM
I am going to give myself a 7+ and I think I mark really hard. There was a time I would rate myself much higher but reading and being around some other great cooks told me I still had some distance to go.

To be honest, whenever there is an event where dishes have to be prepared by different people there are those who quietly want to know what I am bringing. Whatever I prepare is one of the first dishes to go. On a good day and by their standards, I am probably a 9:).

Last edited:
not knowing what to mark it against, I have no idea.

compared to a gourmet chef, probably only a 2 or 3.
compared to my mother, 1,000,000,000,000
compared to another vegan (vegetarian minus dairy) probably an 8-9....
compared to a vegetarian using dairy (which means I can't taste test and can only go by memory) probably a 7-8
compared to a raw foodie, probably only a 5.
now if you want to add meat into the equation - then I think the scale needs some negative numbers.... :rolleyes:

All depends on what you are measuring against. Unlike the above against gourmet chef - 20 [far too much fuss not enough food].
As a plain cook of food you want to eat about 6-7
baking - no not really - only about 2

I too have different levels;
For a vegetarian cook about a 7
For baking I am an 8
For general cooking, about a 7
Meat or fish I don't cook so anything like that would be a 1 as I can cook bacon and sausages for breakfast at least.

I don't know how to compare myself to anyone when it comes to cooking. For one thing, there are such a variety of ways to cook different meals, that the way one person does it would not be the same way another person would do it, and yet they would both turn out good. I think each person has a unique way of preparing different dishes. However, I consider myself a regular cook, that is, someone who knows how to cook, but I would not call myself a professional cook by any means. My meals are usually tasty, and I think that is the important thing. In answer to the thread, I would give myself a 7. There may be some who may give me less or more, depending on who is doing the judging.

I realized after that the thread might have been a bit broad. I was assuming that most of us are just regular cooks doing our thing in the kitchen as our circumstances allow. From my experience here I also got to thinking that some of you are quite good cooks and was curious as to how you would rate yourself perhaps in relation to your peers.

Truth be told if I had to put myself around some of the top chefs I know I'd probably end up with a 4 or 3 rating. As it relates to baking, I wouldn't necessarily want to bring that into the equation. If I did I would probably have to settle for 4 if it's from scratch and a 7 if it's from a box.

I am no great chef, nor will I ever be in this lifetime. I really enjoy home cooking and so I would give myself a 7 in that catagory. I used to be a bad cook, but I have learned a lot over the last few years. I continue to build upon my skills and find new ways to make great dishes everyday. One of my favorite things to do is go online and find a bunch of different recipes to try.

Well I haven't poisoned anyone yet and my siblings and I have never gone hungry while in my care (not counting the other week when my brother and both exhibited an insane amount of laziness, but lets not incriminate ourselves) even when I was younger. I rarely get complaints, and even when I do the person still has willing 2nds, 3rds and so on so I take them with a grain of salt.

I am not great by any means and I don't really use recipes too often, I just pull out something out of my head based on random things that happen to be found in the house.

Back
Top Bottom