On-line supermarket shopping

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
3:35 AM
Was wondering how widespread this is outside the UK. Its really caught on here. Most of the major supermarkets offer a home delivery on-line service and also a click and collect service. I've been using this service since it began and find that it actually saves me money, mainly because I'm not tempted to chuck those extras into my trolley. I just make a list for the week and stick to it. But here come the rant:mad::

The thing, is I hate shopping in supermarkets. They are too big, with too many choices and often, involve waiting at the checkout. Plus, you have to do the work! You load it all in a trolley and load it out to go through the checkout and then load it back into the trolley and then load it into your car and then load it out of your car into your kitchen. I make that 5 lots of loading! Bonkers, if you think about it. Yes, I know some stores offer a handset to check your own goods straight into bags which is probably less time consuming. Nevertheless, if I do a weekly family shop in the supermarket it takes me around an hour . Plus, there is the driving there and back. With on-line, the driver brings it into my kitchen and will unload it for me if I want. :D. The cost is a few quid for the service depending on time of day. Well worth it IMHO.

I did it a few times with Stop & Stop.

But their prices are ridiculously high. The only real advantage to that is that the driver brings the food upstairs to you.
So what I do it just pick up a few things at a time to cut down on all those trips up 3 flights of stairs, lugging up heavy bags of food!! :headshake: :stop:

I did it a few times with Stop & Stop.

But their prices are ridiculously high. The only real advantage to that is that the driver brings the food upstairs to you.
So what I do it just pick up a few things at a time to cut down on all those trips up 3 flights of stairs, lugging up heavy bags of food!! :headshake: :stop:

So, is it only a few stores that do this in the USA? Here its all the major supermarkets and the prices are the same as in store.

Roch Brothers / Sudbury Farms does it also. Their prices are more reasonable. :wink:

Roch Brothers / Sudbury Farms does it also. Their prices are more reasonable. :wink:
Don't know what the major supermarkets are in the US. Here its Tesco, Sainsburys, Waitrose, Morrisons. The first three have on-line delivery and the last one has been trialling it. We also have two budget supermarkets (Lidl and Aldi) who don't have on-line. Are Roch Brothers/Sudbury Farms major US supermarkets? I haven't heard of them...

love shopping for groceries on line,its the way to go!it costs more in fuel to get to the nearest shop,if you do order before holiday you get it within a time frame when you return,we do click and collect some times,order and pick up in the store in the car park,all the offers are the same ,

Online supermarket shopping is being introduced here although I haven't tried it yet. It is a great convenience especially when you are busy. Grocery shopping takes about 3 hours of my time including the travel. However, I have read some issues about the accuracy of the order vis-a-vis the delivery. Well, that might be birthing pains for the new scheme but definitely that online shopping gimmick is a boon to housewives.

Online supermarket shopping is being introduced here although I haven't tried it yet. It is a great convenience especially when you are busy. Grocery shopping takes about 3 hours of my time including the travel. However, I have read some issues about the accuracy of the order vis-a-vis the delivery. Well, that might be birthing pains for the new scheme but definitely that online shopping gimmick is a boon to housewives.
Oh yes, I've had a few odd substitutions. If the product you have ordered is out of stock they replace it with an alternative and charge you the same, or less if the substitute is cheaper. For example, aubergine (eggplant) instead of courgettes! Often, though, the substitutions have been advantageous. Recently I got two fillet steaks (which would cost around £11) instead of the casserole steak I had ordered. I was only charged £3.50! I don't really mind substitutes though, as I rather like the challenge of changing the menu!

@morning glory, your experience proved that what I heard is true. That replacing with another product other than you ordered is not a good practice. If done here, that grocery would lose its clients because Filipinos are loud complainers - they would seek media attention for that piece of steak wrongly delivered. If and when I try that online grocery, I will post in this thread my own experience.

I don't mind shopping online for stuff that is packaged, though I'm reluctant to buy fresh food in this way - I prefer to see what I'm getting. Not that I often buy fruit and veg in supermarkets as I'm lucky enough to have a really good greengrocer just up the road from me. As someone with a penchant for good ale, I buy most of my beer online - there's a great choice out there and someone else can do the carrying!

I hate shopping. I have a 50 mile round trip to get to a large supermarket, then the hassle of walking round, with people standing In the middle of the walkway and not moving, then the god awful ques at the till.

However, the only time I did online shopping was through asda, and to be honest, I don't like the way they substitute items if they don't have the one you want. I received their own brand cola instead of coke and it was bloomin awful. It left me wondering if they deliberately substituted brand items for their own on purpose.

I have to confess I have never used the online shopping. I just don't like veg in plastic bags, those sealed ones. If I want 300g of potatoes, I will buy them loose and buy 300g. I don't want to have to buy 500g in a pre packaged bag, or for someone else to select my veg for me. Remembering that I am effectively vegan and that my OH eats the same as me, that is 2 of us that eat a lot of veg in this household and the idea of someone substituting stuff out for me is not what I want. Also I have noticed that some of the stuff I buy in the shop is not available on the online shop and that would mean I would need to obtain it another way - nah. I'll stick to the weekly shop. It does not take much in the evening after my OH gets home from work. Instead of sitting in front of the TV for 2 hours, we do the (or did in my case) the shopping. I am actually looking forward to the time when I can sit again and go and do the shopping! How sad is that. OK I'll need a wheelchair to do it, but... :laugh:

Don't know what the major supermarkets are in the US. Here its Tesco, Sainsburys, Waitrose, Morrisons. The first three have on-line delivery and the last one has been trialling it. We also have two budget supermarkets (Lidl and Aldi) who don't have on-line. Are Roch Brothers/Sudbury Farms major US supermarkets? I haven't heard of them...
You missed Asda!
If Aldi & Lidl don't have online shopping, are they just doing home deliveries.
Morrisons do home deliveries.

All using the same satnav ratruns.

You missed Asda!
If Aldi & Lidl don't have online shopping, are they just doing home deliveries.
Morrisons do home deliveries.

All using the same satnav ratruns.
Yes, I did forget Asda. No, Lidls and Aldi don't do any deliveries. Thats one of the ways they keep their costs down. I read somewhere that most of the big supermarkets actually make less profit on deliveries.

I hate shopping. I have a 50 mile round trip to get to a large supermarket, then the hassle of walking round, with people standing In the middle of the walkway and not moving, then the god awful ques at the till.

However, the only time I did online shopping was through asda, and to be honest, I don't like the way they substitute items if they don't have the one you want. I received their own brand cola instead of coke and it was bloomin awful. It left me wondering if they deliberately substituted brand items for their own on purpose.

You can check a box when ordering saying 'no substitutes'. I've used all the on-line deliveries (including Iceland, who deliver for free). Asda I found much less reliable. Waitrose, Sainsburys and Ocado are the most reliable. I normally use Tesco because I collect Clubcard points to spend on Cottages4U holidays!

Back
Top Bottom