On-line supermarket shopping

What was happening was that I would unpack the boxes, and discover a bag of potato chips, smashed under 30 lbs of kibble, open containers of oatmeal spilled under 35 lb containers of cat litter, etc. It was a big mess, so I stopped ordering online, because it was a hassle. Every time I needed to return a product, I had to pack it up and have them pick it up and re-ship, because I couldn't even drive it to the store to return, they would only accept it the same way it was originally purchased. Each time I had an issue, I would try to explain the problem (untrained packers) to them, but the issue reoccurred, so I decided it was easier simply to go to the store and do my shopping in person.

Its very different here in UK. I've never had any significant issues with spillage or damaged items. The driver actually checks the eggs for me! Occasionally one is cracked, in which case I get the whole box of eggs free! The driver carries everything straight into my kitchen. A few years ago (when I was recovering from a broken pelvis), they willingly unpacked it all for me. Once, I had a few problems with Asda which I complained about and they sent me a bouquet of flowers as an apology!! Overall, the service has saved me literally hours and hours of time and petrol.

Here, if an item is damaged or missing and you only discover this afterwards, you just phone them and your bill is automatically altered or you are credited with the money so you don't ever have to send things back. On a few occasions when I've done this, Asda in particular, have given me £5 or so off my next shop as an apology.

Last edited by a moderator:
if we have ever had any problems on a delivery with Tesco's its dealt with straight away and refunds are straight forward ,if they don't have the item, it would be the same if you were in store ,you either wait to next time ,go else where or ,or they choose a substitute

@morning glory @Berties I would have much preferred that they handled returns and refunds differently, and if they had, I probably would have continued shopping that way, which would have benefited them financially. As it is, it's more convenient to use a different grocer for some of my items, because it was too difficult to purchase it all at one time in the store (too bulky/heavy for me), so I split it up, and they're not the closest store. They've lost at least $100/month, due to their handling of the situation.

I'm wondering if the reason it hasn't taken off as much in the States as elsewhere is for the reason mentioned earlier in the thread, people tend to buy less online, because they stick to a list, and aren't tempted by other items they see as they walk throughout the stores.

Back
Top Bottom