Once again, I can't upload photos because they are "too big".

Initially, are you uploading them to the media section? What format are you using (.jpeg, .png, .gif, .tiff?). The site limits the size to around 1600px x 1200px for .jpegs (which I believe is the preferred format).

My photo is 700kb. Can someone change whatever setting is blocking me, please?

Thank you,
as Yorky has stated. it is virtually guaranteed that it is the pixel size that's the issue. if you upload to the media gallery, the file allowances are larger 1200x1600 pixels and 10Mb file size. if you use the attach file button in the post thread, you are limited to 1024x1200 and 6Mb.
this is the same for everybody, even myself. it is a site setting not an individual setting.

the media gallery (The Media Gallery) has larger allowances because you only upload the same image once, but can then link to that image add many times add you like to show it as many times as you like, end result is still only 1 upload.
the attach file option immediately below where you type has smaller limits because it can only be used the once. if you want to show the same picture in 2 different threads, you have to upload it twice, taking up twice the space.

Well, I just went into LightRoom and checked, exported in both suggested resolutions -- taking screen shots along the way -- and still got the too big error (in the what did you cook today thread). Interestingly, I could post here. hmmmm

I posted just as I always post, but now the images are too big. The last time this happened I was told there was some setting in place that prevented SPAM, so after you've been on the site for x amount of time, those limits would automatically be removed. This is what I'm assuming is happening, but then I can post here. hmmmmm
Screen Shot 2021-11-18 at 4.32.15.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-18 at 4.31.28.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-18 at 4.30.51.png

Well, I just went into LightRoom and checked, exported in both suggested resolutions -- taking screen shots along the way -- and still got the too big error (in the what did you cook today thread). Interestingly, I could post here. hmmmm

I posted just as I always post, but now the images are too big. The last time this happened I was told there was some setting in place that prevented SPAM, so after you've been on the site for x amount of time, those limits would automatically be removed. This is what I'm assuming is happening, but then I can post here. hmmmmm
View attachment 75354View attachment 75355View attachment 75357
you have only limited size in Mb, so actual physical size and set a dpi of 70. you have not restricted the pixel size. under image sizing, you have not put a tick in the resize to fit, width & height box. you need to. pixel size is what is causing this problem. the limits are above.

Now that I'm back on my tablet, I can answer more fully.

You are concentrating on the wrong dimensions to restrict.

Right now you are trying to make the actual physical disk space of the file smaller. This is easily achieved by file compression within a jpeg file by jpeg compression or quality.
What you actually need to concentrate on is the actual image display size or pixels.
We restrict the in post attachments (so using the button Attach files) to 1024×1200 (or 1200x1024 for a portrait image). There are less restrictive restrictions if you add you image to a media album in the media gallery (1200×1600 pixels).

If you concentrate on getting your image within these pixel sizes, the actual playsical disk space won't be a problem.

So you have a options on how to do this. By far the easiest is to simply tell the camera to produce smaller files. And this is all I do. I don't edit my images.

for the above mage, in lightroom you'll need to put a tick in the tickbox I've indicated below.
Where I've written 1200×1024 that's the portrait setting. For landscape It is 1024×1200.
The resolution of 70 dpi is fine, so leave that as is.
Where you see the grayed out Quality button & figure of 60, that's the file compression ratio. The more you compress, the lower the quality but the smaller the physical file size.

if you use the media gallery the actual display file sizes (pixels) are 1200×1600 instead of 1024×1200 here.

If you look at the data for your image, you'll see that it is possible to upload images that the system can reduce the resolution of to fit the file restrictions.

these 2 images are both over the pixel resolution restrictions. but the smaller of the 2 can automatically be resized by the system to fit into the 1200x1024 pixel restriction. the larger image can't be.

these were taken just now on my phone using the camera phone software to take in a smaller resolution.

by the way, your screenshot uploaded because it's a screenshot not a camera picture. it fitted into the restrictions above (or wasn't too large that the system couldn't resize automatically).
all 3 images are 1200xsomething smaller which is why they uploaded. you'll see that the actual physical file sizes are tiny.

I'm pretty good with the Adobe Suite but I know nothing about anything you talked about, so I need to study!

I think this must be my new camera: I just bought a Nikon 7, which has HUGE files and sic resolution. I need to learn just what that mean. :)

Thanks for the help and explanations. :)

I'm pretty good with the Adobe Suite but I know nothing about anything you talked about, so I need to study!

I think this must be my new camera: I just bought a Nikon 7, which has HUGE files and sic resolution. I need to learn just what that mean. :)

Thanks for the help and explanations. :)
just yeII if you have a query. I'm an IT engineer by training (currently retired through ill health) and also was a semi-professional landscape photographer (sorry I use Canon). There are also plenty of decent food photographers on the site as well as a professional photographer (cars) and whilst I personally don't use Adobe, I used to support it when I ran a school network (600 students etc).

pixels are basically screen size.
Mb are basically physical disk size. Concentrate on the pixel size and the disk size will take care of itself.
Presumably you know DPI ? (printer quality for a crude definition). keep it to 70-72 for internet use. small pixels, Small size and small dpi all go a long way to prevent digital photo theft.

Having just looked up your camera I'm not surprised you are running into problems...

Sensor
Max resolution 8256 x 5504
Other resolutions 5408 x 3600 (DX crop), 6880 x 5504 (5:4), 5504 x 5504 (1:1), 8256 x 4640 (16:9)
Image ratio w:h 1:1, 5:4, 3:2, 16:9
Effective pixels 46 megapixels
Sensor photo detectors 47 megapixels
Sensor size Full frame (35.9 x 23.9 mm)

It is basically a 46 Megapixel camera. It's overkill for here. Even my old Canon EOS 5D Mkiii is overkill for here and it is 10 years old now (20 Megapixel camera)

Does your phone have a camera you can use?
Seriously. even Morning Glory who takes fantastic photos uses her camera phone.

just yeII if you have a query. I'm an IT engineer by training (currently retired through ill health) and also was a semi-professional landscape photographer (sorry I use Canon). There are also plenty of decent food photographers on the site as well as a professional photographer (cars) and whilst I personally don't use Adobe, I used to support it when I ran a school network (600 students etc).

pixels are basically screen size.
Mb are basically physical disk size. Concentrate on the pixel size and the disk size will take care of itself.
Presumably you know DPI ? (printer quality for a crude definition). keep it to 70-72 for internet use. small pixels, Small size and small dpi all go a long way to prevent digital photo theft.

Having just looked up your camera I'm not surprised you are running into problems...

Sensor
Max resolution 8256 x 5504
Other resolutions 5408 x 3600 (DX crop), 6880 x 5504 (5:4), 5504 x 5504 (1:1), 8256 x 4640 (16:9)
Image ratio w:h 1:1, 5:4, 3:2, 16:9
Effective pixels 46 megapixels
Sensor photo detectors 47 megapixels
Sensor size Full frame (35.9 x 23.9 mm)

It is basically a 46 Megapixel camera. It's overkill for here. Even my old Canon EOS 5D Mkiii is overkill for here and it is 10 years old now (20 Megapixel camera)

Does your phone have a camera you can use?
Seriously. even Morning Glory who takes fantastic photos uses her camera phone.
I second the phone thing

Russ

I second the phone thing

Russ

I beg to differ, as a full-time professional photographer. Use the best camera you have, at the highest settings available, then scale back in Lightroom.

My Nikon D4 is always set as if I am shooting for a magazine cover, even when I'm just shooting for this forum. I then size my photos in Photoshop to fit within the forum's limits.

MadebyyouandI paid good money for that Nikon 7. Her cake photo looks great! I say keep using it, and learn how to size down in Lightroom.

CD

I beg to differ, as a full-time professional photographer. Use the best camera you have, at the highest settings available, then scale back in Lightroom.

My Nikon D4 is always set as if I am shooting for a magazine cover, even when I'm just shooting for this forum. I then size my photos in Photoshop to fit within the forum's limits.

MadebyyouandI paid good money for that Nikon 7. Her cake photo looks great! I say keep using it, and learn how to size down in Lightroom.

CD

But it's the only camera I have.
So it suits me.
Photography doesn't really interest me, but I do appreciate a good pic.

Russ

But it's the only camera I have.
So it suits me.
Photography doesn't really interest me, but I do appreciate a good pic.

Russ

Well then, that's the best camera you have. Nothing wrong with that. Use it! :okay:

CD

This always works for me in Photoshop CC 20.0.7:

Crop the image to a maximum of 1600px by 1200px after saving the original.

Then save as .jpg format at quality 9 (75%).

Upload to "Media".

I've not had one fail yet.

[Edit: my initial image is 6000px by 4000px]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom