1-2 tsp agave syrup
salt as you like
250ml/1¾ cups buttermilk
100ml/¾ cup water
3 tsp corn oil
2 tsp wheat bran.

Method
1. Wash your hands.
2. Peel the onion and dice it. Start to preheat your oven up to 90°C/200F. Spread the onion onto a baking sheet and put it into the oven. I didn't measure the time, so you have to watch out when they're ready. Take them out when they developed brown color, it'll take some hours until they're brown, if this is to long, you can roast them at 180°C/350F while staying in the kitchen.
2. Measure everything, mix everything except the salt and knead it into a firm dough, now you can add the salt and give it another short knead. Let it rest on top of the oven for roughly two hours or until the inside of your oven cooled down to 42°C/85F, then you can rest it inside of the oven.
3. Give the dough like every two or three hours a good knead, at minimum knead the dough two more times, for about 5-10 minutes. Let it rest for two days for flavor developing and gluten structure.
4. Bake the bread with a pan/bowl filled with hot water under it, for 180°C/350F for 40 minutes. When the crust isn't brown enough after the baking, switch the oven to the highest temperature and watch how it gets dark.

img_20210126_0739518272501613145047353.jpg

Stay healthy

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 55863
Onion Bread
Ingredients: 500g/5 cups wheat flour, 200g/2 cups spelt flour, 7g yeast, one onion, 1-2 tsp agave syrup, salt as you like, 250ml/1¾ cups buttermilk, 100ml/¾ cup water, 3 tsp corn oil, 2 tsp wheat bran.

1. Wash your hands.
2. Peel the onion and dice it. Start to preheat your oven up to 90°C/200F. Spread the onion onto a baking sheet and put it into the oven. I didn't measure the time, so you have to watch out when they're ready. Take them out when they developed brown color, it'll take some hours until they're brown, if this is to long, you can roast them at 180°C/350F while staying in the kitchen.
2. Measure everything, mix everything except the salt and knead it into a firm dough, now you can add the salt and give it another short knead. Let it rest on top of the oven for roughly two hours or until the inside of your oven cooled down to 42°C/85F, then you can rest it inside of the oven.
3. Give the dough like every two or three hours a good knead, at minimum knead the dough two more times, for about 5-10 minutes. Let it rest for two days for flavor developing and gluten structure.
4. Bake the bread with a pan/bowl filled with hot water under it, for 180°C/350F for 40 minutes. When the crust isn't brown enough after the baking, switch the oven to the highest temperature and watch how it gets dark.
View attachment 55864
Stay healthy

This is a very interesting bread, I like it and I’ve bookmarked it. The flavour has ti be quite strong, I suppose (it’s more than perfect to me 🙂).
I’m wondering about the use of durum wheat semolina’s flour...
What is wheat bran?

Thank you very much
I don't have any experience with semola or semolina in bread, but when you can use it in pizza it should be okay.
Wheat bran is the shell of the corn, it contains a lot of minerals and fibre, and it adds a nice, little chocolate aroma, but don't use to much.
Stay healthy

Thank you very much
I don't have any experience with semola or semolina in bread, but when you can use it in pizza it should be okay.
Wheat bran is the shell of the corn, it contains a lot of minerals and fibre, and it adds a nice, little chocolate aroma, but don't use to much.
Stay healthy

Semolina’s flour is very nice both for bread and pizza 👍🏻
Ok thank you for wheat bran explanation, sounds great!

Spelt has a great flavour and I like the idea of 'dry roasting' the onion. The two days resting time is very interesting as I imagine it may pick up a slightly 'sour dough' flavour.

May I ask if the wheat flour is white flour?

May I ask if the wheat flour is white flour?
Yes it is.
I've read long time rising is better for bread, in terms of flavor and in terms of gluten structure. But the flavor isn't cool everytime I make, sometimes it's to "heavy". Keep in mind, I'm a beginner at baking.
Stay healthy

Back
Top Bottom