Onions should not be underestimated

Local time
6:41 AM
Onions have a lot more nutritional value than we give them credit for. Although I use onions practically everyday in my cooking, I never knew they had so many health benefits. I was reading an article today which listed a host of health benefits that are contained in onions. Some of these benefits are listed below.

Onions contain vitamin C and vitamin B6, as well as folate and iron. They are good antioxidants and have anti-inflammatory properties. They are even good for bone health. If taken regularly, they can also prevent various kinds of cancers, including breast and prostate cancer. They are also good for diabetics.

So next time you are cooking, and most likely you will be using onions, remember the many health benefits that they contain. You may even want to use a little more in your cooking next time around.

My favourite onions are the ones shown below.

upload_2015-10-5_13-30-45.jpeg

Onions are certainly a wonderful ingredient. They form the basis of so many recipes and I get through quite a lot each week. I like them raw, too, sliced thinly on a mandolin and added to salads or sandwiches. Or made into a quick pickle (red onions thinly sliced with a pinch of sugar, salt and lime or lemon juice). After 10 minutes the pickle becomes a jewel-like pinky red. Or at the other end of the scale, caramelised and made into a dark and rich French Onion soup.

Baked stuffed onions seem to be out of fashion as are braised onions,
Red onion marmalade had its teeny heights slow cooking them with sugar thyme and sherry ,sousing and melting onions are very popular ,and I am using a burnt onion purée with pork at the moment cooked with black onion seeds

Baked stuffed onions seem to be out of fashion as are braised onions,
Red onion marmalade had its teeny heights slow cooking them with sugar thyme and sherry ,sousing and melting onions are very popular ,and I am using a burnt onion purée with pork at the moment cooked with black onion seeds

I'm loving this. Lets bring back baked stuffed onions. Tell us your recipe @Berties! And you must also tell how to know when the burnt onion is burnt and not cremated!

I'm loving this. Lets bring back baked stuffed onions. Tell us your recipe @Berties! And you must also tell how to know when the burnt onion is burnt and not cremated!
I just carry on cooked the onion till a proportion of the surface goes really dark I don't want to loose all the bulk of the onion as there will be nothing to purée, and it would result in charcoal water when I add the veg stock, I can tell you it's a easy job to do but even easier to get wrong!

We normally cook fried rice using garlic only. But when we learned of the nutritional properties of onion, we sometimes include onions in fried rice whenever appropriate. We have that dish called Murisqueta where the sautee ingredients are garlic and onions, it is one of the favorites in our house. My husband loves onions that is mixed in beef dishes particularly the beef with gravy. Steamed onions, he said, has a chili taste when mixed with the beef or pork dishes.

Absolutely right! Onions aside from being useful in our cooking it had also great health benefits. It had antibacterial properties...I remembered when there is someone who had flu virus or sore eyes virus in our family my mother would sliced many onions and put it in one bowl and place it in every corner of our house like in the kitchen, bedroom, living room and dining room to counter attack the virus from spreading so that other family members will not carry the virus. And when one of us had colds and cough she will boil a handful of sliced onion to make a tea and let us to drink it. It is a form of natural antibiotic. I grew up witnessing this kind of treatment and I may say it really works. That is why I inherited the same beliefs from my mother and now even there is no problems like this I just use a lot of onion in my cooking because I know it is good for health.

I have started using more onions in my cooking to increase my access to the health benefits of onions.

Then I might not be as unhealthy as I thought? I have said before I just can't go without my onions. I have to always have them around and I feel I use them with practically everything. It's good to see some health benefits staring me in the face with something I am quite fond of.

We eat a lot of onions. They are usually in everything that we cook. I like all varieties of onions and buy them all on a regular basis. I do like the Spanish and the red onions raw.

We eat a lot of onions. They are usually in everything that we cook. I like all varieties of onions and buy them all on a regular basis. I do like the Spanish and the red onions raw.
Sunday is my biggest cooking day, so I made sure I had a decent amount as I am never supposed to run out. I am sure we don't have as many varieties here but I make do with what we have. Maybe I have said it before, but I feel naked in the kitchen without them.

Reactions: L_B
I use onion in every main meal dish I cook, so I consume one onion every day. I use brown onions in Indian curries and red onions in Italian dishes and many of the dishes I cook can include either type. I can eat them raw too, in salads and snacks. I also make soup with onions.

I don't think a cooked meal is complete without the addition of an onion. Very often I start with saute or fried onion, but I also like them cooked in water like any other veg and then the water can be used as a base for stock, soup etc.

Back
Top Bottom