Ordered a Compact Washer & Dryer Today!!

My grandmother, if she were still alive. :)
I still have in garage, I still use some time. We have power down for three day two year ago and I still do my wash. Is what I brought up with I born and brought up in Gabello Vechia poorest slum in Napoli no have electric until 1959 even then many family no have it could no afford. We use wash board metal bucket an mangle, five family share mangle, water come from wells. Gabello Vechia bulldozed late 1961 they build Scampia. Pathe news make film 1961 Ray find it I sit and watch I forgot how bad it was. Yes old fashion but work what ever happen.
If interest I have link to Pathe film if some like see it.

Sarana x

The fill hose won't work!! Too big for the kitchen & bathroom faucets!! :headshake:

I hope you can find an adapter. Maybe the company who makes the washer also makes an adapter.

Pathe news make film 1961 Ray find it I sit and watch I forgot how bad it was. Yes old fashion but work what ever happen.
If interest I have link to Pathe film if some like see it.
That's how my mom and her mom were - they knew what they liked and that's what they stuck with. I've mentioned before, my mom (now 81), cooked on a wood cook stove every meal until the 1990's. That's just how she liked to cook, she never liked the electric one.

My great-grandparents in my dad's side, they didn't get running water in the house until the early 1970's, and even then, they never put in a toilet or shower, just a small hand-pump in the kitchen, and that was it. You had to go to the bathroom, you went to the outhouse behind the main house.

You had to go the bathroom at night? That's what the chamber pot was for. :)

Last edited:
I hope you can find an adapter. Maybe the company who makes the washer also makes an adapter.

That's how my mom and her mom was - they knew what they liked and that's what they stuck with. I've mentioned before, my mom (now 81), cooked on a wood cook stove every meal until the 1990's. That's just how she liked to cook, she never liked the electric one.

My great-grandparents in my dad's side, they didn't get running water in the house until the early 1970's, and even then, they never put in a toilet or shower, just a small hand-pump in the kitchen, and that was it. You had to go to the bathroom, you went to the outhouse behind the main house.

I once had an uncle like that. He never put a bathroom as part of the house! Had plumbing for the kitchen, but not for the bathroom, because there was none! He once bought a new water heater, but it sat for so long until it dry-rotted & he couldn't use it. :headshake:

Last edited:
Reuben is so true, many girl I knew in the Gabello had arm break an finger in the rollers. Bad thing but had no choice.

Sarana x

Today, the automatic washer takes away all of the drudgery out of washing clothes, also saves a lot of time & labor. The automatic dryer is also a completely welcome change in its own right, saving you from having to hang the clothes on the line & the pigeons crap all on them. They are a far cry from the mangle!! :wink:

Last edited:
I finally got a device to hook up the washer to the faucet! Since the hose that came with the machine is too big at one end, this works perfectly. I now no longer have to baby sit & pour the water manually into the tub!! :wink:

Last edited:

That's how my mom and her mom were - they knew what they liked and that's what they stuck with. I've mentioned before, my mom (now 81), cooked on a wood cook stove every meal until the 1990's. That's just how she liked to cook, she never liked the electric one.

As a kid I used to spend weekends with my mums parents at their home. It looked perfectly normal, except the outhouse outside. About 25 paces from the back door. Tp was ripped up newspaper. This was about 67' . Our home was almost new with toilet etc inside. My nan had a pot under her bed and under mine. A night cart used to come around late Sunday night. It was horrible. They got a builder in about this same time and put a brand new toilet and bath inside. The bath and washing facilities were in a shed by the back door. Their home and about 1000 homes were destroyed in earthquakes in 2011. Their whole area is scrub now.
Young kids nowadays will never know the struggles!!

Russ

Kids today, got it so easy! If they were born the same time we were, they'd know what it was like.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom