Organic is not so organic anymore... Can anyone elaborate?

scb1990

Veteran
Local time
11:53 AM
It seems like everything is claiming to be organic these days. Is anyone else noticing this trend?

The one I have noticed more and more are things like salt claiming to be GMO free. That said some of the sea salt I have at home also claims to be organic as well which having trained as an organic chemist, always makes me smile.It does not, however, inspire confidence in me when I see such stupidity.

Yes, that is kind of the trend everywhere. But then there is no way to check the authenticity of the claims either. So, at the end of the day we are actually eating organic foods, which in truth could be inorganic.

On the other hand a possibility that a non-fussy buyer gets genuine organic food.. :)

I have not noticed the trend here in the midwest. We do not have any specialized sections nor an abundance of organic anything here, rather it be false claims or true. If someone were to want to go the organic route in my area, they would be hard pressed to do it unless they were contacting local farmers on their own.

I always check the organic certifying agency. I really don't trust the USDA Organic label. Companies pay enough money and they can get that label.

My state has rather strict organic standards. I trust anything that has been certified organic by them. Also the state of Washington has strict organic standards too.

I understand the concept of organic but it is expensive and can come from another country, be harvested early and kept cold during long transit, yes organic is a good thing but we try to buy local produce wherever we can, no air miles. Farmers Markets have really started to come back and are very popular, you can find out exactly where your food comes from.

"Organic" has been slowly losing its meaning year by year. Organic food standards have been quietly eroding for quite some time thanks to big corporations trying to cash in on the whole foods craze. More and more corporations are finding loopholes in what you can slap the "organic" label on, and the entire quality of the label has been suffering ever since. Nowadays you have to really do your research on a product or produce to make sure that what they're selling as "organic" is really what you want in your food.

Back
Top Bottom