Outdoor hearthstones

lissetetiff

Veteran
Local time
7:36 AM
It may seem a bit traditional but using hearths as a means of outdoor cooking is an efficient way of saving on fuel. All you require is some wood and two or three hearthstones, and you are set.
Would you cook your food using this method?

Have you a picture ?stock or your own ,I love outdoor cooking ,not quie sure what you mean,
I have helped built a pizza oven with,heat proof bricks on base,heat resistant ,cement ,bound with chicken wire ,moulded temporary with wet sand ,and we used a old bakery oven door,
You light a wood fire in the back ,let the fire die down ,and cook on a piece of granite,pizza cooks really quick,when finished with we shovel the embers out for a fire pit

I remember the last time I saw that hearthstone was in the mountain when we visited a friend there. We were served broiled sweet potato. While eating, I noticed the hearthstones where that sweet potato was cooked. Our friend said that the lunch to be served will also be cooked there - free range chicken that they are raising - caught, cleaned and ready to cook in a few minutes over that hearthstones oven. It was an experience worthy to remember.

The hearthstones can especially come in handy when camping, when you need to boil large volumes of water. You can also use the hearthstone fire as a grill by placing a wiremat on the fire and placing your meat on top.

The hearthstones can especially come in handy when camping, when you need to boil large volumes of water. You can also use the hearthstone fire as a grill by placing a wiremat on the fire and placing your meat on top.
Can you please produce a picture/photo. In the UK camping is a completely different 'kettle of fish' if you will excuse the pun and we genuinely have no idea what you are talking about, hence the request by myself and others based in the UK for more information.

To me, civilised camping is this (I also camp wild...). Cooking is done on a small gas or methylated spirits stove (which is visible to the right of the door way on the 2nd photo if you click on it). The idea of taking 'two or three hearthstones' is not something I have encountered, nor do I have any idea on a 'wiremat'

IMG_1432.JPG IMG_1146.JPG IMG_1022.JPG IMG_0734.JPG

Wild camping is another matter entirely, but the stove situation does not change!

Back
Top Bottom