Recipe Oven baked sweet potato chips

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
4:24 PM

Super easy to make, 3 ingredients. An adjustable mandolin, I used my handheld Keyocera ceramic one, makes prep a lot faster and easier, but a sharp knife and patience will also work. Parchment paper and a large baking sheet(s).

I'm not fond of sweet potato fries, but I did really like these.

The below made enough for 2 of us for 1 meal.

1 about 6 inch long sweet potato, peeled
EVOO
Kosher or sea salt

Preheat the oven to 300 F. Prepare your baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.

Slice the sweet potato paper thin, I used the #3 setting on my Keyocera. Place the slices in a bowl with ample room to toss, drizzle with EVOO and toss with your hands, separating the slices so that every slice is "kissed" with EVOO. Place the slices on the baking sheet(s) in a single layer. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Place in the oven. Check at 10 minutes and stir to redistribute the slices, keeping them in a single layer. Cook an additional 10 minutes, and repeat above. Continue to cook until slices are starting to crisp nicely, but decrease times between checks to 5 minutes so you don't burn. Remove sheet pan from oven, let the chips sit on the pan for 5 minutes, then slide the parchment off and allow to cool. They will continue to crisp. Store in an airtight container if you have any left.

View attachment 67611

Super easy to make, 3 ingredients. An adjustable mandolin, I used my handheld Keyocera ceramic one, makes prep a lot faster and easier, but a sharp knife and patience will also work. Parchment paper and a large baking sheet(s).

I'm not fond of sweet potato fries, but I did really like these.

The below made enough for 2 of us for 1 meal.

1 about 6 inch long sweet potato, peeled
EVOO
Kosher or sea salt

Preheat the oven to 300 F. Prepare your baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.

Slice the sweet potato paper thin, I used the #3 setting on my Keyocera. Place the slices in a bowl with ample room to toss, drizzle with EVOO and toss with your hands, separating the slices so that every slice is "kissed" with EVOO. Place the slices on the baking sheet(s) in a single layer. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Place in the oven. Check at 10 minutes and stir to redistribute the slices, keeping them in a single layer. Cook an additional 10 minutes, and repeat above. Continue to cook until slices are starting to crisp nicely, but decrease times between checks to 5 minutes so you don't burn. Remove sheet pan from oven, let the chips sit on the pan for 5 minutes, then slide the parchment off and allow to cool. They will continue to crisp. Store in an airtight container if you have any left.

Are yours the same as ours, we have about three different colours.

Russ

Are yours the same as ours, we have about three different colours.

Russ

View attachment 67614
Ones like your picture are the most common. I know there is a variety that have a deeper orange, more reddish color that is grown in what is considered the deep south, Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina. I don't remember the name, but everybody was all excited about them coming into season once when I was visiting my dad in Mississippi. They are supposed to have a great taste. I didn't eat any though, never got around to trying them.

There are purple sweet potatoes and white also I believe, but I've never tried them either.

Ones like your picture are the most common. I know there is a variety that have a deeper orange, more reddish color that is grown in what is considered the deep south, Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina. I don't remember the name, but everybody was all excited about them coming into season once when I was visiting my dad in Mississippi. They are supposed to have a great taste. I didn't eat any though, never got around to trying them.

There are purple sweet potatoes and white also I believe, but I've never tried them either.
The one shown is called orange kumara, I've always used the red harder ones for roasting, I'll put a pic up when we buy more. I've only just started buying the orange ones after being served at my meal,at dinner club recently. One of those things you taste and go wow, I've gotta make these. After about three goes I'm happy with doing them.
I'll serve them as twice fried chips next when mates are around for cards.

Russ

I love sweet potato chips (crisps). They are great with a smooth, spicy salsa. I got hooked on them at Blue Mesa Grill in the Dallas area. They fry their chips -- restaurants don't do healthy. :laugh:

Directions:
  • Cut sweet potatoes with mandolin or similar slicer (thin).
  • Fry in a pan with vegetable oil (we use canola) about 2 inches deep at 350 degrees for 7 to 8 minutes turning frequently. Fry in batches (try not to crowd pan).
  • Air dry in a strainer or another type of basket for several minutes – sprinkle with salt and chile powder.
  • Serve with your favorite salsa or ancho mayonnaise.
They serve them mixed with tortilla chips.

Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 10.05.31 PM.jpg

CD

Don't know. First time making them and we ate them all as only used 1 relatively small sweet potato. When I make regular potato chips they last for a couple of days in a zip lock bag so I would assume same.

I have only had the fried ones, and they do NOT keep well. They need to be eaten at one sitting, or they get soft.

CD

I wanted to make sweet potato chips, and I fiddled around with the idea of making them in a smoker. That’s a long way to go to do what you did so easily here. I like that I can just do this on the fly. Heck, I have a bag of regular potatoes, and I think I’m going to throw this together tonight. Thank you for sharing.

To apply the oil, I use an empty butter spray bottle that I fill with oil. I always end up overdoing it on some pieces if I try to apply a light touch drizzling oil. But, this way applies the oil consistently every time.

I might try it this way next time, look amazing. Also the deep fried version looks great.
I baked mine at 220 c. It could be that my slices were not thin enough or it should have been 230 c ... I don't know.

I wanted to make sweet potato chips, and I fiddled around with the idea of making them in a smoker. That’s a long way to go to do what you did so easily here. I like that I can just do this on the fly. Heck, I have a bag of regular potatoes, and I think I’m going to throw this together tonight. Thank you for sharing.

To apply the oil, I use an empty butter spray bottle that I fill with oil. I always end up overdoing it on some pieces if I try to apply a light touch drizzling oil. But, this way applies the oil consistently every time.

When I make regular potato chips, I've started soaking them in salted hot tap water for at least an hour or so. You'd be surprised at how much starch comes out in hot versus cold water. They get drained, rinsed, then dried on paper towels. I've been frying them, but am going to try baking next time.

We made Notification a good while back. If memory serves, we decided it was good, but not good enough for the work of Craig getting the smoker going. Maybe if you had a stove top smoker and proper ventilation, or a smoking gun, it would be worth making.

Last edited:
I might try it this way next time, look amazing. Also the deep fried version looks great.
I baked mine at 220 c. It could be that my slices were not thin enough or it should have been 230 c ... I don't know.
Did you use a mandolin to slice the potatoes? They need to be really,really thin.

220 to 230 C is going to be too hot for sweet potatoes and they will be prone to burning. You need a much lower heat, like the 300 F I used. I may bump that up to 325 F next time. The thing I've always disliked about Sweet potato fries is they always tasted somewhat burnt to me due to the higher frying temps.

Back
Top Bottom