Oven fried chicken for me

Local time
5:35 PM
Ever so often I get that desire to have a good piece of fried chicken but try to stay away. For a long time I was planning to try the oven fried chicken and kept putting it off until recently. My first attempt was not encouraging. The recipe I used called for cornmeal and when I was finished some of the cornmeal could be seen on the chicken.

Recently I tried another recipe that called for dipping the chicken in flour, then egg and finally bread crumbs. I decided to lightly season all of these ingredients.The result was just what I wanted. It was delicious. Do you often fry your chicken in the oven?

In the UK, frying means on top of the cooker in hot oil. You either shallow-fry (like fried eggs) or deep-fry (like chips). So it sounds odd to us say Oven Fried. As far as we are concerned, if it goes in the oven, its baked. I am thinking what is meant by Oven Fried must be the fact its coated in something like breadcrumbs. Is that right?

I much prefer my chicken in the oven than the deep fryer. I don't like oily fried food very much and since I don't normally eat that way, sometimes it upsets my stomach. I don't think the way I do chicken would be called oven fried, probably it's just baked as I don't cost it with any breading.

In the UK, frying means on top of the cooker in hot oil. You either shallow-fry (like fried eggs) or deep-fry (like chips). So it sounds odd to us say Oven Fried. As far as we are concerned, if it goes in the oven, its baked. I am thinking what is meant by Oven Fried must be the fact its coated in something like breadcrumbs. Is that right?

I guess we can call it 'Oven fried BAKE' chicken and that covers everything. There are several recipes online and YouTube. The first time I tried it I used meal to finish the coating and when it was finished it did not have the look or the right taste for me. I think that recipe was found on YouTube if I remember well. I don't think I would coat with cornmeal again. Seasoning the chicken and coating with flour, then egg, and then bread crumbs worked beautifully and the chicken was nice and crunchy like good old fried chicken minus all that oil which was the catch for me. I've had it twice in the last two weeks. On the last occasion I might have added a little too much oil to the 'baking dish" but still it was nothing compared to typical frying.

I sure do, and depending on how much time I'm willing to spend, I either do a short quick version of it, or I will take a little more time and do a better version of it.

The short version is I will simply get some seasoned panko breading and toss it with a little melted butter and some parmesan cheese, then sprinkle it over the top of the chicken parts before roasting them. I don't even bother to coat them entirely because even if I did, the bottoms of the chicken tend to come out all soggy. So just that little bit of crispy browned breading on the top of the skin is enough for me.

For a healthier and better version though. I will take the time to toast the seasoned italian breadcrumbs or seasoned panko breadcrumbs in a dry hot pan, just so they brown a bit and develop a little color and a nutty flavor that you get from frying them. Then I just dip the chicken in a light egg wash, and then into the toasted breadcrumbs to coat them evenly. If I want a more substantial breading on it, I will dust the chicken in flour first before the egg wash. Then I place the chicken on a wire rack on a baking sheet and spray it generously with cooking spray. Alternately, I've also tried mixing some canola oil into the toasted breadcrumbs until it was incorporated evenly, then coating the chicken with it, which also worked well too.

Interesting that I should see this this morning. Only last night I popped some chicken in the oven for my son. Recently he was eating a little too much Kentucky. I had baked some pork for my husband and knowing he doesn't like pork, I decided to get him a healthier version of 'fried chicken'. The breast were already seasoned from two days before. I whipped an egg and added some paprika, dipped the chicken in the egg mix, then some flour mixed with a little garlic sauce and then some bread crumbs. I then placed the chicken strips in a lightly oiled baking pan and stuck it in the oven.. I was oven fried in no time. It was no Kentucky Fried Chicken, it was better. It was 'Anne's Oven Fried Chicken' that was finger licking good:at least in my opinion.

For grilled chicken, we have our own recipe, an original recipe that no one would believe. When we have guests and we serve our grilled chicken, they would always remark that it's unique in taste and naturally they would ask for the recipe. Marinated in red tomato, who would think that such chicken would have that delectable taste when grilled? Yes, the flavoring is red tomato and a sprinkling of salt. You can add potato as garnishing but salad is the best match for our grilled chicken.

Reactions: L_B
Sounds good Corzhens. I am really enjoying the oven fried chicken and every time I am trying something something new. Last time I added some hot sauce to the egg dip for some added spice. Maybe I should try red tomato next time.

I love oven fried chicken although my fiance makes awesome deep fried chicken.
The recipe I use for oven fried chicken is as follows:

Ingredients
  • 10-12 chicken thighs

• 3 eggs

• 1 c all-purpose flour

• 1 c Italian seasoned bread crumbs
  • salt and pepper to taste

• 1 tsp paprika

• 1/2 c vegetable oil
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Place flour in a shallow plate or bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste. Put the bread crumbs in another shallow plate or bowl and beat the eggs in another bowl.
  3. Dredge the chicken piece by piece in the flour, then the egg, then the bread crumbs, until all pieces are coated. Pour the oil into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Add the chicken to the dish and sprinkle with paprika to taste. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, then turn pieces over and bake for another 30 minutes. Remove from oven and drain on paper towels. Enjoy!

I like that recipe. It sounds very much like the one I use. My breadcrumb is usually plain so I spice it up to suit. I was not very happy with my last set, but I think I did not season the chicken well enough. No one complained, but I know when I have not done my best work.

I like to use flour, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Dip your chicken in this mixture, and place on a baking sheet. Your chicken must have skin on it so I like to use breasts and thighs. Then pour about a tablespoon on oil over top of the skin. Bake at 375F. Every ten minutes check and baste the skin with the oil. It will start to turn a nice crispy texture and because of the paprika it will have a nice golden colour. Bake for about 30 minutes until chicken is cooked through and skin in nicely golden brown. Its an easy way to make fried chicken in the oven.

Back
Top Bottom