Overly expensive knives - are they worth it?

For years I have been using the wrong knives/any knife and the few that I might have bought years ago that were somewhat expensive I have lost away in the cupboards. When I read posts like these I then go hunting to see what I can find and see how they compare with what is being discussed. I honestly don't make a fuss about knives anymore. I use whatever seems to be working best and is within reach.

For years I have been using the wrong knives/any knife and the few that I might have bought years ago that were somewhat expensive I have lost away in the cupboards. When I read posts like these I then go hunting to see what I can find and see how they compare with what is being discussed. I honestly don't make a fuss about knives anymore. I use whatever seems to be working best and is within reach.
The main thing is to keep a knife super sharp. Even a cheap knife is fine if its sharp. It probably just won't last as long, that's all. Its actually more dangerous to use a blunt knife as it can slip and cut you. My test of whether my knife is sharp enough is whether it will easily slice a tomato.

The main thing is to keep a knife super sharp. Even a cheap knife is fine if its sharp. It probably just won't last as long, that's all. Its actually more dangerous to use a blunt knife as it can slip and cut you. My test of whether my knife is sharp enough is whether it will easily slice a tomato.
So then I am on track even if not applying the rules. I am a rush cook and honestly need to make some time and organise things but they say if it's not broken don't fix it. Being the forums reminds me of things I have lost away in the cupboards. The other day I took out a whisk and it felt so strange.

When I was younger I used to think I need to try to get the best and often felt the best came with a big price tag. Not anymore. If it looks good and works well I am going with it........generally.

Victorinox knives are great I have had rose wood handled butchery knives since the 80s larding knive,rounded and straight point boning knives,
I use a 12 inch rose wood chopping knife but the German knifes are more heavier I still love gustav emil ern,
I have a victorinox pastry knife as a service slicer every couple of months as well as utility knives .......

Victorinox knives are great I have had rose wood handled butchery knives since the 80s larding knive,rounded and straight point boning knives,
I use a 12 inch rose wood chopping knife but the German knifes are more heavier I still love gustav emil ern,
I have a victorinox pastry knife as a service slicer every couple of months as well as utility knives .......
Hadn't heard of these. Turns out they make the Swiss army knife! They aren't ridiculously expensive, either.

Back
Top Bottom